Engagement with Industry
We engage extensively with industry for the purposes of teaching, research and input into our programmes. Our industry collaborators include:
- Association of South African Quantity Surveyors (ASAQS)
- Bowman Gilfillan Law Firm
- Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB)
- Consulting Engineers South Africa (CESA)
- GIBB Engineering and Science
- Major and emerging contractors
- Major procurers of construction work in South Africa
- Major professional services firm in the fields of construction management, quantity surveying, real estate and property
- National Treasury
- Professional bodies in the School’s field such as CIOB, RICS, SACQSP, SACPCMP, SACVPMP
- South African Property Owners Association (SAPOA)
- Vela VKE
- Wits University Capital Projects Department
Practical surveying experience is crucial for getting work as a quantity surveyor. Most foundation and degree courses have a placement aspect to the course as do professional qualifications and graduate traineeships, allowing students the chance to apply their knowledge in a working environment. All experience puts you ahead of others when it comes to applying for jobs.
For Property studies, due to the massive skill shortages that currently exist in the sector, the program enjoys tremendous support from not only the industry but also trade organisations such as the South African Property Owners Association (SAPOA). A lot of bursaries and internships are made available directly from individual firms and from SAPOA. The South African Institute of Black Property Practitioners (SAIBPP) also offers a number of bursaries to deserving black students.
Once our students graduate, they are able to begin the process of registration with the relevant professional body for their continuing professional development and career development. The Construction Studies programme is accredited by the South African Council for the Quantity Surveying Profession (SACQSP); Association of South African Quantity Surveyors (ASAQS); South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP) and leads into honours degrees accredited by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). This means that graduates of our BSc and Honours degree programmes are firmly on the track for membership of these professional bodies and are well positioned to become leaders and managers in their employment and professions.
If you would like more information on our engagement with industry, please get in touch with us.
Tel: 27 11 7177652