We have just celebrated the launch of our 34th gender neutral facility (a toilet that anyone may use, regardless of their gender) on our campuses. The facilities were launched in 2016, and we have had very positive reception, particularly from parents of young children, and transgender members of our university community (a person who is transgender does not partially or wholly identify with the gender they were assigned at birth). It is important to note that our transgender constituents may use any toilet of their preference, gendered or not, and that no one has the right to ‘police’ this. To do so is transphobic in nature and is not permitted.
List of locations of gender-neutral facilities
Braamfontein East Campus:
- University Corner ground floor and Mezzanine,
- Solomon Mahlangu House - between floors 8 and 9 and in basement 1 (behind the Drawing Hall),
- Richard ward 6th floor,
- Van Riet Lowe Ground floor,
- WSOA ground 1st and 2nd floor,
- Digital Art ground floor,
- Art House ground floor,
- Wits Theatre ground floor,
- Matrix 1st floor,
- Bidvest Stadium.
Braamfontein West Campus:
- DJ Du Plessis ground floor,
- Oliver Schreiner School of Law ground floor,
- FNB ground floor (003 and 008),
- Hall 29 ground floor,
- Squash Court ground floor,
- CLM ground floor,
- NCB ground floor,
- MSB ground floor,
- Old Grandstand ground,
- WSS ground floor,
- Commerce Library ground floor,
- CNS Library ground floor,
- Commerce Building first floor,
- Chamber of Mines ground floor,
- Wits Plus ground floor.
Wits School of Education Campus:
- Bohlaleng Block, Admin Block.
Wits Faculty of Health Sciences Campus:
- Ground Floor.