Start main page content
Frequently asked questions
Have I qualified and is my name on the graduation list?
- You must fulfill all requirements in order to graduate for your diploma/degree. If you are uncertain, please check with your Faculty Office as the onus is on you to check that you have been marked on the system as qualified.
- Graduation lists are available on Facebook and Twitter (Exams and Graduations) and the website www.wits.ac.za/students/graduations.
Do I have any outstanding matters with the University (Disciplinary Hearing)?
- If you have a disciplinary case pending, an unpaid fine and/or community service yet to be performed, you may not be allowed to graduate.
- Direct your queries to the Legal Office. Also inform your Faculty should your name be cleared.
- The Faculty will then advise EGO whether your name should be added to a graduation list.
What about the name on my certificate and in the graduation booklet?
- Please ensure that your full name is correctly reflected on the system as on your birth certificate, ID document or passport.
- If your name is reflected incorrectly on your WITS record, or you have subsequently changed your name (legally), please submit a copy of your ID document or passport to your Faculty to process the necessary amendments.
- This must be done at least 30 days prior to the ceremony date.
- Please consult your Faculty Office should there be a discrepancy in the details of your names.
- Your official name at the time of graduation will appear on your certificate.
ATTENDING THE GRADUATION CEREMONY
Where do I get my gown and hood?
- All graduands are required to wear prescribed academic dress to ceremonies. Those obtaining a degree must have a gown and hood, and those obtaining a diploma or certificate must have a gown only. Diploma and certificate recipients do not have a hood.
- Gowns and hoods can be hired on the day of the ceremony in Room 228, Central Block (CB228).
- Please bring cash to hire your gown.
- For more information on gowns and hoods please see the House of Graduates price list.
Do I need a ticket for the ceremony?
- Every graduand who’s name appears on the final published list has a reserved seat and is entitled to two guest tickets.
- Tickets must be collected in CB228 on the day of the ceremony.
Where do I take graduation photos?
Where will the ceremony take place and how long will it last?
- The Graduation Ceremony is held in the Great Hall on East Campus, and commences promptly at 9:30; 13:30 and 17:00 for the March ceremonies. At 9:30 and 14:30 for the July and December graduations.
- The duration of the ceremony is approximately 2 and a half hours.
NOT ATTENDING THE CEREMONY
What if I cannot attend the ceremony?
- If you are unable to attend your graduation ceremony, you will graduate in absentia. You will be required to make arrangements to collect your degree, diploma, certificate from the Examinations and Graduation Office.
What happens with my certificate?
- Certificates are no longer posted.
- Certificates not collected within twelve months after each graduation cluster will be destroyed and you will be liable for the cost of a new certificate.
Can someone else collect my certificate on my behalf?
- You may ‘nominate’ someone to collect your certificate on your behalf.
- The request must be in writing to EGO, stating the person’s full details as well as Identity Number.
- This person must produce their ID Document when collecting the certificate.