The Centre for Learning and Teaching Development (CLTD) vision is to enhance the national and global reputation of the University of the Witwatersrand by providing innovative support for learning and teaching. CLTD works with both staff and students to ensure that WITS continues to improve the quality of education it offers and the research it produces.
As an academic Centre, our mission is to build reciprocal relationships with colleagues within and outside of the university in order to:
- provide strategic leadership in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and learning;
- provide educational opportunities to support the professional development of academic staff in an African and global context;
- provide support that promotes student-centred and transformative learning;
- acknowledge and share good learning and teaching practices;
- support the development and review of curricula to ensure currency and relevance;
- support the implementation of authentic and innovative assessment practices;
- support quality enhancement by offering a range of evaluation services;
- promote the effective use of educational technologies to enhance learning and teaching;
- support the collaborative development and review of learning and teaching policies;
- engage in and nurture research in higher education and the scholarship of learning and teaching.