The Steve Biko Centre for Bioethics
We are a university-based centre committed to the values of justice, dignity, respect and freedom - both intellectual and academic.
The Centre is a Faculty centre situated in the School of Clinical Medicine.
The Steve Biko Centre for Bioethics contributes to excellence in bioethics by:
- Developing national and international research programmes,
- Ongoing curriculum development and teaching,
- Collaborating with other developing and developed world-based bioethicists on training and research projects,
- Advising health providers on policy matters, including resource allocation, rationing of health care services and monitoring standards of care for the ethical practice of the caring professions including medicine, dentistry, nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and pharmacy,
- Providing an ethics consultation service at hospitals and clinics within the academic hospitals as well as the primary health care settings,
- Providing NGOs and other community groups with health care ethics advice and
- Community outreach as a social responsibility
Learn more about what Bioethics is.
UP AND COMING EVENTS:
ETHICS ALIVE SYMPOSIUM 2017
“TRANSFORMATION: IS IT A BITTER PILL TO SWALLOW?”
- Dr Freda Lewis-Hall- Executive President and Chief Medical Officer, Pfizer Inc.
- Professor Dan Ncayiyana- Emeritus Professor, University of Cape Town
- Mr Nkosinathi Biko- Executive Trustee, Steve Biko Foundation
Date: Thursday, 16 March 2017
Venue: The Women’s Gaol, Constitution Hill
Ethics CPD: 4
Contact Person: Samkelo.Nsibande@wits.ac.za
Telephone: (011)717 2190