Media articles, podcast and popular press
- Daily Maverick: Young people in Tshwane’s Ekangala battle challenges of finding work and affording a home
- Daily Maverick: Down and out in Johannesburg understanding-homelessness
- Assoc Prof Sarah Charlton comments on why people live rough in parks, in Mark Heywood’s article on the fencing of Albert Farm Conservancy.
- Podcast: Assoc Prof Sarah Charlton, Harriet Perlman, and Chris Lund discuss the critical and complex issue of street homelessness in Johannesburg.
Socio-economic implications of COVID-19 lockdown
- Daily Maverick: Kliptown superheroes take up fight against covid-19 in service of the people
- Mail and Guardian: Informal settlements should actively participate in local government
- New Frame: Lockdown forces ministry to address shack settlements
- Marie Huchzermeyer participated in an online panel at The Forge in Braamfontein in 2020 about the COVID-19 informal settlement de-densification plans in South Africa: https://theforge.org.za/covid-19-de-densification/
- Podcast: Marie Huchzermeyer and Jethron Ayumbah Akallah discuss the Covid 19 situation in informal settlements in Kenya and South Africa in the Urban Political series (May 2020):
- Colleagues from the City Lab at Ardhi University in Dar es Salaam (one of who is now a postdoc in CUBES, Priscila Izar) provide a view of how the urban poor experience the Covid-19 pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Sarah Charlton and Margot Rubin speak on Peter Ahmed’s podcast series ‘Talking Transformation’ on 25 March 2020 on the topic of incremental densification.
- Daily Maverick: Government’s gambit: Providing land rather than houses
- Visiting researcher Dr Tanya Zack was the lead consultant in the multidisciplinary RebelGroup team that developed the Inner City Housing Implementation Plan (ICHIP) and Sarah Charlton was on its advisory group and contributed to its research.
- Daily Maverick: The City of Johannesburg does have an inner-city housing plan – it just hasn’t implemented it.
- Johannesburg fire: there was a plan to fix derelict buildings and provide good accommodation - how to move forward.
- Mail and Guardian: Women are entitled to own land
- A feminist perspective on urban justice, the Citizen and FES
Right to the city
- New Frame: Brixton lights up the right to the city
- New Frame: Art transforms waste, space and people in Brixton