Covid-19 Update 82: Changes to isolation protocols and FAQs
- Wits MVax Operations Team
The South African government released new Covid-19 regulations as at 31 January 2022, pertaining to changes to isolation protocols.
Below are four scenarios regarding whether you should come to campus or not following a positive Covid test, if you have symptoms, or come in close contact with a positive Covid-19 case.
What to do if…
- You test positive for Covid-19 (PCR or antigen test) with NO symptoms
- You test positive for Covid-19 (PCR or antigen test) AND you have symptoms
- You develop symptoms of Covid-19
- You have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid-19
- If you test positive and do not have symptoms then you do not need to isolate and you can come to campus. Continue to follow the standard Covid-19 protocols: 1M+2V+3Ss – Wear a Mask; stay in well-Ventilated areas; Vaccinate; Complete the Covid-19 Screening tool; maintain a Social distance of 1.5m; and Sanitise hands often.
- If you test positive and show symptoms, you need to isolate for seven days. Do not come to campus. Return to campus after seven days with a sick note as required by Faculty/Line Manager. If you have moderate or severe Covid-19 illness, please submit a medical certificate to email@example.com in order to return to campus.
- If you have symptoms of Covid-19, please do not come to campus. You do not have to isolate, but monitor your symptoms and seek medical advice as needed. You may return to campus when you have recovered, with a sick note as required by Faculty/Line Manager.
- If you have been in close contact with someone who tests positive for Covid-19 and you do not have symptoms then you need not isolate and you can come to campus. Continue to monitor yourself for symptoms and follow the routine Covid-19 protocols 1M+2V+3Ss in (1.) above.
All information is available in the Wits Covid-19 Handbook.
Frequently asked questions
More than 20 000 staff and students have uploaded their vaccination certificates to the MVax Upload and RA Portalsince the process opened in January. Please view the Frequently Asked Questions about the process and the procedure until 1 March 2022, the date by which all Witsies must vaccinate or have applied for reasonable accommodation. Visit Wits Vaccination Policy Implementation to learn more.
Remember that you can find all Covid-related information in the Wits Covid-19 Handbook or at the Wits Covid-19 Portal.