The DST-NRF Centre of Excellence in Mathematical and Statistical Sciences (CoE-MaSS) receives funding from the national Department of Science and Technology (DST), which is administered by the National Research Foundation (NRF) and the Host Institution, Wits University. This research funding is administered across the 14 partner institutions that make up the CoE-MaSS.
We are currently funding Postgraduate Bursaries, Post-Doctoral Fellowships, Focus Area research projects and activities, accredited and non-accredited Short Courses, Workshops and other Training events, Writing Retreats, MaSS Capacity Development, etc. provided that the activities fall within one of the CoE-MaSS Focus Areas.
Funding applications are assessed by a Selection Committee, and awards are made based on merit. Funding is highly competitive so applications need to include as much information as possible for the Selection Committee to make a decision. Please note that incomplete/unsigned applications will not be considered.
If you have already been funded by the Centre, please find the policy on how to cite funding support by the CoE-MaSS on your publications and other outputs here.
Funding Calls for 2018
Please note: The Centre will no longer fund any Outgoing Conference Attendance from CoE-MaSS funds on an ad hoc basis. CoE-MaSS members are encouraged to take advantage of the NRF KIC Travel Grant Funding Call or the NRF Conference Fund Call for any outgoing travel outside of South Africa. Going forward, the Centre will only fund Incoming Conference Attendance for national/international keynote/plenary speakers that are presenting at academic/research events in South Africa with immediate effect but these applications should normally be included in the Focus Area’s Annual Research Plan, wherever possible. This is in line with the Centre’s mandate to develop human capacity locally, using the limited travel funding resources that are available to the Centre.
Funding Calls for 2017
- 2017 CoE-MaSS Event Support for Workshops, Conferences, and Capacity Development Training(Application deadline: The last day of each month) OPEN!
- This call is open all year. The application deadline is the last working day of each month, for consideration by the Committee the following month.
- This application for funding must be supported by the relevant CoE-MaSS Node Leader in terms of fitting in with (i) one or more of the recognised CoE-MaSS Focus Areas, and (ii) be in line with the Centre’s goals for research development and advancement, and capacity development in the MaSS fields.
- Download the Application Form template here.
- Download the Post-Event Report Form template CoE MaSS.
Past CoE-MaSS Funding Calls can be viewed on the Past Funding page.