Facts and figures
Wits has a reputation built on research and academic excellence, and is strategically located in Johannesburg, a world class city, with countless opportunities for students and staff to engage with and present solutions that will contribute to our country's knowledge-base and build our future.
Did you know?
- Wits is home to one of the largest fossil collections in the southern hemisphere and is internationally recognized as a leader in the palaeo-sciences. Wits scientists have been contributing to the palaeo-sciences record for almost a century.
- The University owns the Sterkfontein Cave (in the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site), the Wits Rural Facility in Mpumalanga, Pullen Farm and half of a private teaching hospital, the Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre.
- Our medical school is one of the best on the continent and through the Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre we train more specialists and super-specialists than any other university in southern Africa.
- Wits will host the second African IBM Research Laboratory, one of only 12 such mega-labs across the world.
- Wits staff and students have access to 1 206 144 book volumes, 150 012 print and electronic journal titles, 234 online databases and over 3 300 collections of historical, political and cultural importance, encompassing the mid-17th Century to the present, some of which are being digitised for preservation.
- The Wits Art Museum is one of Johannesburg’s premier tourist attractions located in Wits’ cultural arc, currently numbering over 9 000 items.
- We are also home to the Bidvest Football Club, which we co-own, and run one of the largest football clubs in the country - the Wits Football Club.
- The Chancellor of the University, Dikgang Moseneke, is the Deputy Chief Justice of South Africa. Wits Law School, one of the country's premier institutions, produced two of South Africa s post-1994 Chief Justices of the Constitutional Court.
- The Origins Centre, a worldclass international tourist site at Wits, includes exhibitions on the Khoisan and Rock Art and tells the unique story of humankind's creativity. The University also boasts one of the largest and most diverse groups of geoscientists in Africa.
- The Wits School of Governance is the largest postgraduate school of public management in southern Africa.
- Wits offers a range of services to the community. The Wits Disability Unit is a model centre for higher education institutions that caters for disabled students, while the Centre for Deaf Studies offers support and education to caregivers and families of the Deaf. The Emthonjeni Centre offers speech and hearing therapy, counselling and psychotherapy to the public and acts as a practical training ground for students in this area.