STEP 1 – Apply Online
To apply, go to www.wits.ac.za/applications/
You may apply for a maximum of three programmes (order of choice does not matter).
- Do you meet the admission requirements for your degree of choice?
- Apply before the closing date.
- Apply using your names as they appear on your ID book/card or passport (do not use initials or nicknames).
If you apply for two programmes within one Faculty, you are advised to apply for one programme in a less restricted faculty (e.g. Humanities, Commerce or Science).
Try to keep your study options open, especially when applying for programmes in faculties such as Health Sciences or Engineering.
- Do not enter the duration of the programme. You are applying to go into 1st year of study.
- In accordance with the POPI Act, applicants are required to complete their own applications and accept the University's legal declaration of indemnity and undertaking. The University will not engage with third-party agents facilitating applications on behalf of applicants.
- 30 June 2023 - Faculty of Health Sciences (all programmes); Bachelor of Architectural Studies; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV
- 30 September 2023 - All other University programmes
- 30 September 2023 - Residence applications
STEP 2 – Pay application fee and upload supporting documents
A non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens, and R700 for foreign citizens, is required. Log into the self-service portal.
- payments to be made before closing dates
- Use only your Person Number or T Number as reference
How to pay
Log into the self-service portal and click the Campus Finances tile. Select Make a Payment>Application fee
Deposit the exact amount into the University's application fee account:
- Standard Bank, Wits University Application Fees. Account Number 200 346 385, Branch code 004 805. CI Number 074A. (International payment swift code: SBZAZAJJ). Use only your person/student number as a reference.
- Pay by cash or credit card at the Wits Fees Office, Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House), Braamfontein Campus East, Jorissen Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa. Use your person/student number as the reference.
- EFT - Use your Person/Student number as the reference.
Upload your supporting documents at the time of application. You also have the option to upload your documents after you have submitted your application via the student self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
Current Matriculants: Upload your final Grade 11 results (no hardcopy required).
Already Matriculated: Upload certified copies of all your matric certificates/foreign school leaving certificates.
Other Tertiary Institutions: Upload a certified copy of official academic records for ALL tertiary registrations, inclusive of a statement/certificate of good conduct, stamped by the institution’s registrar. (Note that interim, self-service generated results will be considered for initial assessment purposes for GEMP applicants ONLY).
Additional forms and selection proceduresSome degrees have additional selection requirements such as a portfolio or essay submission, audition or National Benchmark Tests. Please check this page to see if this applies to you, or follow the links from the specific online course entry.Refer to the below Self-Service Guide to upload documents:Download the Self Service Document Upload Guide here.
Alternatively, watch the Self-Service Upload Guide here.
STEP 3 – Acknowledgement of Application
- We will email you to confirm we have received your application.
- Our acknowledgment letter will contain a person number (which will become your student number), and a reference person for you to contact for any queries you may have.
- All records of correspondence from the University will be available on the student self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Check the status of your application and click Manage Documents on the student self-service portal regularly.
- Keep your contact details up-to-date on self-service.
To view all correspondence generated on the Self Service Portal, go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Wits Student Self Service > Communication History
To check your Application Status on the Self Service go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Student Centre > Admissions > View Academic Application Status
STEP 4 - find out what is happening with your application on student self-service
Wits student self-service is your go-to portal for all things relating to your application. It is your very own secure portal where you can check the status of your application, upload supporting documents, and update your contact details.
- All correspondence from us will be available on the portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Click the Manage Documents button regularly. Your application is considered incomplete and will not be considered if we do not receive all the required documentation.
Offer of a place
- Firm offers can only be confirmed after receiving final matric results.
- Current Matriculants may be made a provisional offer (depending on self-reported Grade 11 results). Read the Provisional Acceptance Guide.
- Each choice of degree is treated as a separate application. The order of choice makes no difference.
- If you receive a firm offer, you will be required to register at the University once the registration process is opened. This is usually at the beginning of the academic year for which you have applied.
- Communication offering a firm place and information about registration and orientation will reflect on the self-service portal, and registration and orientation details will be available on the Wits website.
- Places are limited, therefore you may only accept one offer. You are required to accept an offer and register as a student before the cut-off date stipulated in your offer letter/sms to secure your place.
- Download the Acceptance Guide
If you have not been offered a place at the University for any of your degree choices, please find possible alternative options here - 2023 Contact Details for School Leavers
Changed your mind about your choice of study?
- DO NOT submit a new application!
- Refer to the closing dates to see if applications are still open for your new selection.
- If you are certain you want to change your programme choice/s, amend your choices on the self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za. Click Amendment of Study Choices via the Self-Service Portal for guidelines.
Study hard and keep your grades up as admission to Wits requires high marks. Provisional acceptance is based on self-reported Grade 11 final marks, with final acceptance based on your final matric results.