African Materials Science and Engineering Network (AMSEN)
The African Materials Science and Engineering Network (AMSEN) was established in 2008, and is one of five networks in sub-Saharan Africa that is funded by the Carnegie-IAS Regional Initiative in Science and Education (RISE) .
The aims of the Carnegie-RISE networks are to develop and retain Faculty Members through research and collaboration. The nodes are:
- University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), South Africa
- University of Botswana, Botswana
- University of Ghana, Ghana
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
- University of Namibia, Namibia
- Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA), Nigeria
Research Teams across the whole network have been established. As well as supervising postgraduate students, the purpose of the Research Teams is to mentor younger and less experienced staff, and enable them to access equipment which is not available at their home university. A high proportion of the students are expected to become Faculty Members after the completion of their higher degrees.