New first year students
The following information outlines the process for registration – please read it carefully.
1. Have you received a firm offer from the University?
- If you have completed the National Senior Certificate or an equivalent school-leaving qualification this year, you will receive an SMS in January 2019 shortly after the results are announced, confirming your firm offer.
- Please access https://self-service.wits.ac.za to view your status.
- You must accept the offer via SMS or on Self-Service within 3 days to secure your place. Should you not do so, the offer will be withdrawn, and the place will be offered to another student. NO telephonic or email acceptances can be made. You may only accept one offer.
- You may find that you have been placed on a waiting list or have a deferred status for your programme. As decision-making is an ongoing process, we will monitor the situation on a daily basis and notify you via SMS or on self-service once a firm offer is made.
2. Student Self-Service Portal
- Students will need to access the self-service portal at various stages of their registration. Your log in details are as follows:
Student ID = Person Number
Password = date of birth in YYMMDD format.
3. Have you made arrangements for your fees and/or funding?
- Information on fees, terms and conditions, and funding: Please visit the Fees and Funding website for information on: The fee estimator, 2019 fees, various funding options, scholarships and bursaries.
- First Payment:
- All self-funded students are required to make a first payment towards fees BEFORE you can register. This is a standard amount of R9340. Should you not make payment or apply for a deferment you will not be able to register.
- If you cannot make this payment, you will be required to apply for a deferment. This means you will be required to sign Acknowledgement of Debt (AoD) indicating that you will make payment by 30th March 2019. You can only complete the Acknowledgement of Debt if you have been offered, and have accepted, a place in a programme. To complete the Acknowledgment of Debt, log in to the self-service portal.
- The first fee payment is not applicable if you:
- have been made a provisional offer for NSFAS funding for 2019;
- have been given a full Wits University Scholarship;
- fall within the new funding threshold – i.e. your family earnings are below R350 000 per annum. If you fall into this category, you will be required to request a deferral of the first fee payment via the self-service portal;
- You can present proof to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office that you have been awarded an external bursary of scholarship.
- Fees office, Tel: 011 717 1531 or 011 717 1888 Financial Aid and Scholarships Office, click here.
4. Registration / Enrolment
- Registration is the process by which you formally enrol at the University.
- Each faculty has specific dates and deadlines for registration. You must complete your registration within these times as failure to register by these times may result in the withdrawal of the offer of a place. The University cannot guarantee a position for students who do not register on time. Please see below for the faculty dates of registration, and remember to bring your ID document with you.
- Most students are able and encouraged to register online. Click here for a step-by-step guide on how to register online.
- Some students, depending on their programme and curriculum-counselling requirements, may need to register on campus on a specific day. Please see below for the faculty dates of registration and more information on the process of registration.
- Once enrolled, you will be able to view and print proof of registration as well as your timetable.
5. Biographical Questionnaire (BQ)
- As part of developing a better understanding of the financial, educational and social needs of our students, the University collects biographical information from all first-year undergraduate students. The information obtained from this questionnaire will assist the University in offering relevant and responsive support throughout your studies.
- Students may be required to reset their password on the self-service portal to complete the survey. Should you experience any difficulties with the password, please contact Wits ICT at 011 717 1717. For any queries regarding the questionnaire, please contact bqhelp.BIS@wits.a.ca | 011 717 1173 / /1164.
- To download the guide to completing the BQ, click here.
6. After you have registered online
- Once you have completed the online registration process, you will be required to come to campus to collect your student access card, information bag and parking permit (if applicable).
- First year students, collect your registration bag from the Student Enrolment Centre.
- Collect or renew your "Kudu" card from any Kudu Card Office.
- You are required to provide proof of identification, such as your ID document, passport or driver's licence.