Start main page content

Student Responsibility

Partially Sighted student working on a computer with a screen magnifier

Admission to the University

All applications to Wits are handled by the Student Enrolment Centre (SEnC). The University s application form has a section that needs to be completed by intending students with disabilities. It is important that you complete this section as, without it, we will be unable to give you the assistance you require.

The Student Enrolment Centre, in consultation with the DRU, tries to ensure that no applicant is denied a place on the grounds of their disability. Exceptions are rare and are usually due to factors such as financial constraints or restrictions to older buildings which cannot be readily adapted.

Student responsiblity

It is your responsibility, as a student with a disability, to request the assistance of the DRU, as well as to provide any documentation of conditions that may warrant academic accommodations. 

Letter of Accommodation

If you have a disability-related need for academic accommodation, you will be given a "Letter of Accommodation", addressed to your faculty/department/lecturer. This letter will describe the necessary accommodations required by you. Please ensure your lecturer is given a copy of this document as he/she will be unable to assist you or accommodate your special needs without it.


The DRU is here to help you, whether your problem is one of physical access in buildings or confusion about your course choices. If we are unable to help you, we will find someone who can!