A degree in Physics equips you with analytical and problem-solving skills, which are in high demand.


Bachelor of Science in the field of Physical Science (Physics)

A BSc degree in Physics will provide the background for understanding an increasingly technological society. Additionally, the course will equip you with experience for life-long learning in a rapidly changing world; mathematical skills that can be applied in many environments; and computational skills that are marketable in many sectors of the economy.

Research in the School of Physics includes theoretical and experimental high energy physics, materials physics, condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, astronomy and astrophysics, high-throughput electronics, photonics, space propulsion, and physics education.

Career Opportunities

  • Communications
  • Consultants and Administrators
  • Education
  • Environmental Science
  • Law
  • Physics Research
  • Project Managers
  • Software Engineers



Physics I (Major)


Mathematics I (Major):

  • Algebra I
  • Calculus I


  • Chemistry I


Any other Level I course


Physics II:

  • Physics IIA AND IIB


Mathematics II:

  • Abstract Mathematics
  • Differential Equations
  • Basic Analysis
  • Linear Algebra
  • Multivariable Calculus
  • Transition to Abstract Mathematics


Any other Level II course


Physics III:

  • Advanced Experimental Physics and Project
  • Statistical Physics
  • Quantum Mechanics
  • Waves and Modern Optics
  • Applications of Quantum Mechanics
  • Introduction to Geophysics


  • Any other Level III major

Entry Requirements

APS 42+

English Home Language OR First Additional Language Level 5

Mathematics Level 6

Physical Science Level 5


Applicants with 40-41 points may be wait-listed, subject to place availability.

National Benchmark Test

All Faculty of Science applicants must write the National Benchmark Tests (NBT) before being considered for admission. There are two tests. The Academic and Quantitative Literacy Test and the Mathematics Test. Your test results are used in addition to your Grade 12 results to identify students who may need additional support during their studies. 

University Application Process

  • The Student Enrolment Centre at Wits handles all student applications.
  • Please click here for an overview of the application process. 
  • Check the admission requirements for your degree. Check if any additional selection requirements apply. 
  • Submit your application, required documentation and application fee before the closing date.
  • Once you have applied, an admissions consultant will be assigned to your application.
  • Applicants can monitor the progress of their applications via the Self Service Portal.
  • If you are an international applicant and/or have a foreign qualification, please click here.

Compliance with the minimum requirements does not guarantee a place at the University. The University has a specific number of places for first year undergraduates, approved by the Department of Higher Education and Training. Final selection is made subject to the availability of places, academic results and other entry requirements where applicable.

University Fees and Funding

Click here to see the current average tuition fees for the first year of study. The Fees website also provides information about the payment of fees and closing dates for fees payments. Once you have applied you will be able to access the fees estimator on the student self-service portal. 

The Financial aid office provides information on student funding and scholarships. University-funded Scholarships include Vice-Chancellor's Scholarships, University Entrance Scholarships, Equality Scholarships, Sports Scholarships and National Olympiad winner awards. For information about NSFAS funding, please visit the NSFAS websiteExternal bursaries portal: The Bursaries South Africa website provides a comprehensive list of bursaries in South Africa.

Wits Plus applicants: terms of payment are in accordance with University regulations, and students are not eligible for University bursaries/NSFAS or residential accommodation.