- A bachelors degree or equivalent with 70% course mark aggregate in a third year literature or media studies-related major.
- At least an upper second class pass in the final undergraduate course in African Literature.
The following documents are required for postgraduate applicants to the department:
- Certified copy of degree certificate/s
- Certified copy of academic transcript/s
- SAQA evaluation or proof of application for such evaluation (for international applicants and South African students who have studied abroad)
- Proof of English proficiency (for international applicants, unless medium of instruction was English)
- Concept paper (for MA by dissertation and PhD applicants only)
Applicants may also be required to submit a CV, a sample of written work (an undergraduate term essay, an Honours research essay, or MA dissertation/research report as appropriate), a writing portfolio, and academic references.
All postgraduate applicants are required to contact the departmental administrator, Mrs Merle Govind before and immediately after the submission of an application. This is to enable the department to track the application, to make requests for outstanding documents, or to notify the applicant of any additional requirements.