WITS neurology circuit
The circuit is made up of the following units: Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital Helen Joseph Hospital
The circuit offers comprehensive neurological services to southern Gauteng. We also assist with neurological patients based in North West Province.
We attend to all neurological conditions at our general Neurological Outpatient Clinic, and we have specialised clinics, viz:
- Epilepsy Clinic – we manage patients with different epileptic syndromes
- Movement Disorder Clinic – we manage patients with Parkinsons disease and other movement disorders
- BOTOX Clinic – we administer BOTOX to patients with dystonias and spasticity
- CIDP Clinic – we administer intravenous steroids according to our protocol to patients with chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathies(CIDP) and variants
- Nerve Conduction / EMG Clinic – we perform electrophysiological studies to assist in diagnosis neuromuscular disorders.
At all 3 units we are supported by dedicated electroencephalography (EEG) departments run by qualified clinical technologists and EEG technicians performing EEG’s on adult as well as paediatric patients.
- CMJAH: 1 Clinical technologist + 2 EEG technicians
- CHBAH: 1 Clinical technologist + 3 EEG technicians
- Helen Joseph: 1 EEG technician.