Johannesburg, our city
- Johannesburg is the provincial capital of Gauteng, which is the wealthiest province in the country.
- The Constitutional Court, the highest court of South Africa, is located in Johannesburg.
- 40% of the world's human ancestor fossils were discovered in Johannesburg.
- Gold was discovered in Johannesburg in the 1880s, after which the gold rush was triggered.
- Johannesburg is dotted with 150 heritage sites, half of which are national monuments.
- Johannesburg has over ten million trees. Read about Joburg's first trees.
- The largest acute hospital, the Chris Hani-Baragwanath Hospital which serves over 3.5 million people is located in this beautiful city.
- The largest and busiest airport in Africa - OR Tambo International Airport is also located in Johannesburg.
- The popular Kwaito music traces its origins in Johannesburg.
- Johannesburg is the world's largest city that has not been built on a coastline or beside a river or lake.
- There are 12 river systems that run through the city of Johannesburg.
Find out more about the City of Gold.
The information posted on this site includes links to information created and maintained by other public and/or private organisations. This site provides these links solely for our users' information and convenience and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer.