Frequently asked questions
What is Pullen?
Pullen is a 250 hectare farm in the middleveld gifted to Wits by the Pullen family.
Who can go to Pullen?
Wits staff, postdoctoral fellows, postgrads, alumni and Friends of the Museum. Bona fide staff, postgraduates and post doctoral fellows of other universities, particularly if they have co-operative research or teaching programmes with Wits.
Why go to Pullen?
Research, workshops of any kind, ecological studies, projects on the flora and fauna of the region, birding, walking and recreation. Ideal for affordable weekend getaways.
Where is Pullen?
- Pullen farm is 35 km south east of Nelspruit in the Krokodilpoortberge off the N4.
- It is 400 km from Johannesburg.
- It is a four and a half hour drive minimum from Johannesburg.
- Accessible in 4x2s with high clearance but 4x4s are strongly recommended.
What you need to take
Food, bedding including pillows, towels, soap and clothing, loo paper. Food and drink, braai wood or charcoal
Layers are recommended. Pullen is 300 metres (1,000 ft.) higher than Nelspruit and is cooler. Sturdy walking shoes, sunhats, fleece tops, t-shirts, cotton trousers, swimming costumes are all recommended.
Warm to hot in summer but cold enough in winter to require jerseys and warm clothes.
- Dedicated laboratory with microscopes and space for a number of people to work situated under verandah of main house.
- Concrete dam situated above cottage that is used as a swimming pool.