Speech pathologists and audiologists deal with various aspects of communication disorders including:
- Special education
- Rural communities
- Private practices
Registration with the Health Professions Council of South Africa as a speech-language therapist and audiologist is compulsory. Only registered clinicians are allowed to practice in the field.
University Speech and Hearing Clinic (USHC)
The Clinic serves as both a student training facility and a public service site. Assessment and intervention are provided by student-clinicians under the direct supervision of registered speech-language pathologists and audiologists.
We assist with interventions for:
- Speech delays and disorders
- Language delays and disorders
- Fluency disorders; stuttering
- Voice and resonance disorders
- Cognitive-communicative disorders
- Pre-literacy and literacy skills
- Communication and swallowing disorders related to other issues
We assist with:
- Hearing assessments
- Aural rehabilitation
- Hearing aid fitting and management
- Balance Clinic Services
Appointments & Queries
Tel: 011 717 4567
Referrals to the USHC can be made by audiologists, speech-language pathologists, educators, physicians or self-referrals. It is helpful to have recent assessments and treatment plans forwarded.
First Floor, Office Number - U133
Umthombo Building, East Campus
University of the Witwatersrand
(between Wartenweiler Library and The Matrix)
Wits Satellite Clinic Sites
Speech-language pathology and audiology services are provided by student-clinicians in a number of clinical settings off-campus, including various hospitals, schools and community centres.
The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology is both an accreditor for CPD activities offered by professionals in the field of speech pathology and audiology and an accredited service provider.
CPD activities offered in our Department
Our department is the proud host of a variety of continuing professional development activities throughout the year.
For information and registration for these workshops contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Swallowing and Dysphagia Society CPD Events
- Held via MS Teams
- 6 times a year
- Different topics and presenters
- 3 CPD points per event
- R50 pp
- Run concurrently with the webinar topics
- 2 CPD points per article
- R50 pp
Accreditation of your CPD activities
- Training speech Pathologists and audiologists at the undergraduate level
- Providing postgraduate studies at the Master's level in either speech pathology or audiology by dissertation
- PhD supervision
- Ongoing research in communication science and on communication pathologies
- Provision of speech-language and hearing services to members of the public who experience communication difficulties, and support for their families
- Adherence to policies of community engagement and community work