INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ELECTIVE CLERKSHIPS TRANSPORT
Transport from OR Tambo International Airport to Wits Medical School
There are various options; it is best to approach the INFO AFRICA counter at the International Arrivals Hall at Johannesburg O.R. Tambo International Airport. They will advise you accordingly.
Some transport options are:
- The Gautrain bullet train (www.gautrain.co.za).
- Uber (www.uber.com or via the Uber smartphone app)
- Airport shuttle bus and various door-to-door shuttle bus services run by either hotels, backpackers etc.
- A private taxi will cost approximately ZAR350.00 one-way (subject to current petrol price rates).
- For safety purposes hitchhiking is strongly discouraged.
Wits Medical school to the academic hospitals
For students working at Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital and the Helen Joseph / Rahima Moosa Mother & Child Hospital complex, a free daily university bus service operates between the main university campus, all Wits residences, Medical School and the teaching hospitals. The service does not operate over the weekends and is discontinued during the summer vacation, i.e. between 05 December and ±5 January. Students are responsible for their own transport arrangements. When on intake, the student is expected to make their own arrangement with regards to transport.
The public transport service in Johannesburg is challenging. Many students hire motor vehicles. Information on car hire may be obtained from the elective office. Rules on the road:
- Valid International Driver's License
- Drive on the left hand side of the road
- General speed limit: 40 - 60 kph in the city
- General speed limit: 100 - 120 kph on the motorways