DPHRU Publications 2015
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles and Research Reviews
Note: Authors in bold are affiliated with MRC/Wits DPHRU
- Dickie K, Micklesfield LK, Chantler S, Lambert EV, Goedecke JH. Cardiorespiratory fitness and light-intensity physical activity in black South African women. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. (accepted for publication)
- Richter L, Mabaso M, Ramjith J, Norris SA. Early sexual debut: Voluntary or coerced? Evidence from longitudinal data in South Africa - the Birth to Twenty Plus study. S Afr Med J. 2015 Mar 7;105(4):204-307.
- Poopedi M, Norris SA, Micklesfield LK, Pettifor JM. Does vitamin D status track through adolescence? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (accepted for publication)
- Chantler S, Dickie K, Micklesfield LK, Goedecke JH. Longitudinal changes in body fat and its distribution in relation to cardio-metabolic risk in black South African women. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2015 Aug 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pearson J, Watson E, Lambert EV, Micklesfield LK. The role of physical activity during pregnancy in determining maternal and fetal outcomes. South African Journal of Sports Medicine (accepted for publication)
- Kagura J, Adair LS, Musa MG, Pettifor JM, Norris SA. Blood pressure tracking in urban black South African children: Birth to Twenty cohort. BMC Pediatr. 2015 Jul 15;15:78
- Moodley G, Christofides N, Norris SA, Achiba T, Hofman KJ (2015). Obesogenic environments: Access and advertising of sugar sweetened beverages in Soweto, South Africa. Global Health Action (In press)
- Gradidge PJ, Norris SA, Micklesfield LK, Crowther NJ, , (2015). The role of lifestyle and psycho-social factors in predicting changes in body composition in black South African women. PLOS ONE (In press)
- Pillay V, Crowther N, Ramsay M, Davey Smith G, Norris SA, Lombard Z. Exploring genetic markers of adult obesity risk in black adolescent South Africans – the Birth to Twenty Cohort. Nutrition and Diabetes. 2015 Jun 15;5:e157
- Said-Mohamed R, Micklesfield LK, Pettifor JM, Norris SA. Has the prevalence of stunting in South African children changed in 40 years? A systematic review. BMC Public Health. 2015 Jun 5;15(1):534
- Lopes Ibanez-Gonzalez D, Tollman SM Clinics and Churches: lifeworlds and health-seeking practices of older women with noncommunicable disease in rural South Africa. BMC Int Health Hum Rights. 2015 May 28;15(1):12.
- Jaff NG, Norris SA, Snyman T, Toman M, Crowther NJ. Body composition in the Study of Women Entering and in Endocrine Transition (SWEET): A perspective of African women who have a high prevalence of obesity and HIV infection. Metabolism. 2015 May 19. pii: S0026-0495(15)00141-9
- Fall CH, Sachdev HS, Osmond C, Restrepo-Mendez MC, Victora C, Martorell R, Stein AD, Sinha S, Tandon N, Adair L, Bas I, Norris SA, Richter LM; COHORTS investigators. Association between maternal age at childbirth and child and adult outcomes in the offspring: a prospective study in five low-income and middle-income countries (COHORTS collaboration). Lancet Glob Health. 2015 Jul;3(7):e366-77
- Lundeen EA, Norris SA, Adair LS, Richter LM, Stein AD. Sex differences in obesity incidence: 20-year prospective cohort in South Africa. Pediatr Obes. 2015 May 19. [Epub ahead of print].
- Pisa PT, Pedro TM, Kahn K, Tollman SM, Pettifor JM, Norris SA. Nutrient patterns and their association with socio-demographic, lifestyle factors and obesity risk in rural South African adolescents. Nutrients. 2015 May 12;7(5):3464-82.
- Draper CE, Grobler L, Micklesfield LK, Norris SA Impact of social norms and social support on diet, physical activity and sedentary behaviour of adolescents: a scoping review. Child Care Health Dev. 2015 Mar 25. doi: 10.1111/cch.12241. [Epub ahead of print]
- Salgin B, Norris SA, Prentice P, Pettifor JM, Richter LM, Ong KK, Dunger DB. Even transient rapid infancy weight gain is associated with higher BMI in young adults and earlier menarche. Int J Obes (Lond). 2015 Mar 16. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2015.25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pradeilles R, Griffiths PL, Norris SA, Feeley AB, Rousham EK. Socio-economic influences on anthropometric status in urban South African adolescents: sex differences in the Birth to Twenty Plus cohort. Public Health Nutr. 2015 Mar 11:1-15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Schnitzler CM. Childhood cortical porosity is related to microstructural properties of the bone-muscle junction. J Bone Miner Res. 2015 Jan;30(1):144-55.
- Mendenhall E, Norris SA When HIV is ordinary and diabetes new: remaking suffering in a South African township. Glob Public Health. 2015;10(4):449-62. doi: 10.1080/17441692.2014.998698. Epub 2015 Feb 2.
- Geary RS, Webb EL, Clarke L, Norris SA Evaluating youth-friendly health services: young people's perspectives from a simulated client study in urban South Africa. Glob Health Action. 2015 Jan 23;8:26080. doi: 10.3402/gha.v8.26080. eCollection
- Jan Mohamed HJ, Yap RW, Loy SL, Norris SA, Biesma R, Aagaard-Hansen J. Prevalence and Determinants of Overweight, Obesity, and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Adults in Malaysia. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2015 Mar;27(2):123-135..
- Gurdasani D, Carstensen T, Tekola-Ayele F, Pagani L, Tachmazidou I, Hatzikotoulas K, Karthikeyan S, Iles L, Pollard MO, Choudhury A, Ritchie GR, Xue Y, Asimit J, Nsubuga RN, Young EH, Pomilla C, Kivinen K, Rockett K, Kamali A, Doumatey AP, Asiki G, Seeley J, Sisay-Joof F, Jallow M, Tollman S, Mekonnen E, Ekong R, Oljira T, Bradman N, Bojang K, Ramsay M, Adeyemo A, Bekele E, Motala A, Norris SA, Pirie F, Kaleebu P, Kwiatkowski D, Tyler-Smith C, Rotimi C, Zeggini E, Sandhu MS. The African Genome Variation Project shapes medical genetics in Africa. Nature. 2015 Jan 15;517(7534):327-32.
- Cole TJ, Rousham EK, Hawley NL, Cameron N, Norris SA, Pettifor JM. Ethnic and sex differences in skeletal maturation among the Birth to Twenty cohort in South Africa. Arch Dis Child. 2015 Feb;100(2):138-43. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2014-306399. Epub 2014 Nov 19.
- Addo OY, Stein AD, Fall CH, Gigante DP, Guntupalli AM, Horta BL, Kuzawa CW, Lee N, Norris SA, Osmond C, Prabhakaran P, Richter LM, Sachdev HP, Martorell R; Cohorts Group. Parental childhood growth and offspring birthweight: pooled analyses from four birth cohorts in low and middle income countries. Am J Hum Biol. 2015 Jan-Feb;27(1):99-105. doi: 10.1002/ajhb.22614. Epub 2014 Sep 3.
- Pisa PT, Vorster HH, Kruger A, Margetts B, Loots du T. Association of Alcohol Consumption with Specific Biomarkers: A Cross-sectional Study in South Africa. J HEALTH POPUL NUTR 2015 Mar;33(1):146-156
- Richter L, Mabaso M, Ramjith J, Norris SA, Early sexual debut: Voluntary or coerced? Evidence from longitudinal data in South Africa – the Birth to Twenty Plus study. South African Medical Journal, [S.l.], v. 105, n. 4, p. 204-307, mar. 2015. MRC acknowledged as funder
- Andronikou S, Ackermann C, Laughton B, Cotton M, Tomazos N, Spottiswoode B, Mauff K, Pettifor JM. Corpus callosum thickness on mid-sagittal MRI as a marker of brain volume: a pilot study in children with HIV-related brain disease and controls. Pediatr Radiol. 2015 Jan 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jones HL, Jammeh L, Owens S, Fulford AJ, Moore SE, Pettifor JM, Prentice A. Prevalence of rickets-like bone deformities in rural Gambian children. Bone. 2015 Aug;77:1-5
- Thacher TD, Bommersbach TJ, Pettifor JM, Isichei CO, Fischer PR. Comparison of Limestone and Ground Fish for Treatment of Nutritional Rickets in Children in Nigeria. J Pediatr. 2015 Mar 19. pii: S0022-3476(15)00128-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2015.02.008. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kruger HS, Micklesfield LK, Wright HH, Havemann-Nel L, Goedecke JH. Ethnic-specific cut-points for sarcopenia: evidence from black South African women. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2015 Jan 21. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2014.279. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hsiao C, Koren-Karie N, Bailey H & Moran G (2015). It takes two to talk: Longitudinal associations among infant–mother attachment, maternal attachment representations, and mother–child emotion dialogues, Attachment & Human Development, 17:1, 43-64
- Rihlat Said Mohamed, Malnutrition, stunting and the importance of a child’s first 1000 days