COVID19 Testing Station opens at Wits
- Wits University
A new COVID-19 Testing Station at Wits, managed by Gift of the Givers, is open to patients who fit NICD criteria and are referred by a doctor.
Wits University and the Gift of the Givers Foundation have opened a COVID-19 Testing Station on the Braamfontein Campus (Enoch Sontonga Road).
Gift of the Givers manages the testing station, while Mullah Laboratories co-ordinates the sites and reports to the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) and provides results to the referring doctor.
Tests will be conducted in an NICD approved, SANAS accredited laboratory with feedback to the NICD electronically. The turnaround time for results is between 24 and 48 hours.
Who can be tested?
- Patients must fit the NICD case definition criteria and must have a doctor's referral before testing. This reduces contamination risk and contact time in the best interests of all concerned.
- HPCSA rules require that the patient has to consult his/her OWN doctor if it's a telephonic consultation or any doctor if it's a face-to-face consultation.
- The COVID19 PCR testing costs R750, and payment is due via EFT before testing.
Bookings and operating times
- Please note: Testing is strictly BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. NO WALK-INS permitted.
- Bookings: Call the toll-free number on 0800 786 911
- Operating times:Monday - Friday: 07:45 - 17:00
No fees will be earned by Wits University or Gift of the Givers. The fee simply facilitates a more affordable price for the public.