The Center of Excellence in High Voltage Engineering (CEHVE) at the University of the Witwatersrand is funded by the ESKOM Power Plant Engineering Institute (EPPEI) for its research and education programmes. CEHVE and EPPEI-HVAC run in parallel under the School of Electrical and Information Engineering at the Faculty of Engineering & Built Environment.
Our expertise spans over a wide spectrum of topics including:
- High voltage engineering and Discharge phenomena;
- Power Systems: Generation, transmission and distribution;
- New transformer fluids;
- Earthing, Bonding and shielding;
- Lighning protection, EMI and EMC;
- Renewable energies;
- Energy security and energy economics; and
- Energy storage systems.