All students and learners who need financial assistance should apply to NSFAS through the NSFAS Online Application system.
NB: We encourage applicants to print a copy of their NSFAS online application and keep a record of all supporting documents in case they are required later. Also, check your email account regularly for correspondence from NSFAS. Please make sure that you receive a reference number after submitting your application form online. If you did not receive a reference number it means your application may have not been submitted successfully.
What does the bursary cover?
- Living allowance
- Book allowances
- Incidental/personal care allowance
How to apply for Accommodation and Allowances
- Log in to the students self-service portal
- Click on ‘STUDENTS”
- Click on “STUDENT SELF-SERVICE”
- Enter your person number(student number) and password
- Click on “FINANCIAL AID”
- Click on “ALLOWANCES AND ACCOMMODATION” then complete the form
Please note that students who qualify for allowances need to update their Banking details online by following the steps below:
- Login to the students self-service portal
- Click on the “My Bank Account” tile
- Click on the “Add / Update Account” tab
- Follow the instructions
What happens to the credit balances in my account?
- All credits at the end of the academic year must be returned to NSFAS.
- The financial aid and scholarships office will process these as a charge to the fee statement in order to clear the credit in the fee account.
- If these are not processed at the end of the academic, it will still be processed in the following year.
- The university has an obligation to return these funds to NSFAS.