Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery (MFOS)
Maxillofacial surgery is a specialty that combines surgical training with dental expertise to correct a wide spectrum of diseases, injuries, tumors, defects and deformities in the mouth, head, neck, face, jaws, and the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region. This specialty combines the practices of medicine and dentistry: it is a hybrid between Medicine and Dentistry. The Department of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery plays an important role in various interdepartmental collaborations, including:
- Management of polytrauma patients with the Trauma Unit of the Department of General Surgery and Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Head and neck oncology reconstruction in conjunction with the Department of Otorhinolaryngology (ENT), Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Radiation and Oncology, and the Department of Oral Rehabilitation
- Orthognathic surgery and Cleft palate reconstruction in conjunction with the Departments of Orthodontics Paediatric Dentistry and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Rehabilitation of patients with dental implants with the Department of Oral Rehabilitation
- Oral Pathology and oral medicine services with the Department of Oral Pathology
A Maxillofacial and Oral Surgeon is a healthcare provider that has completed a five-year dentistry degree followed by a four-year postgraduate hospital-based registrar or residency training program. This postgraduate training program includes rotations in General Surgery, Intensive Care Unit, Trauma, Plastic Surgery, and Oral Pathology with dedicated clinics in Orthognathic surgery, Implantology, Craniofacial Surgery and Facial Clefts including cleft lip and palate.
The Department of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery (MFOS) prides itself on its eclectic scope; teaching and training, research, and a broad scope of practice ranging from dentoalveolar surgery to all aspects of craniomaxillofacial and tumor surgery.
We are a department that aims to be on par with the latest advancements in maxillofacial and oral surgery. We believe that detailed surgical repetition leads to surgical excellence. We strive for excellence in patient care.