LvA is hiring
- Lee-Anne Bruce
Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) is an NGO based in Diepsloot, an informal settlement in the northern part of Johannesburg. We provide direct legal and psychosocial services to victims of gender-based violence (GBV), including sexual violence, domestic violence, and child abuse. LvA works closely with local state actors, including police officers, prosecutors, clerks, magistrates, and government health officials. LvA is also involved in empowerment-based community engagement initiatives school and community workshops.
LvA seeks to appoint a Staff Attorney on a full-time basis to be based in Diepsloot, Johannesburg.
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: Negotiable, based on experience and qualifications
- Provide direct legal services to clients, including assisting clients in obtaining protection orders and supporting clients through criminal cases including regular engagement with police officers, prosecutors and other court personnel to ensure the law is being applied accurately and effectively
- Work with senior attorney to manage LvA’s legal casework, which includes maintaining individual case files as well as LvA’s case database
- Work closely with psychosocial support team in order to implement LvA’s integrated services model
- Other engagement with local state actors and community stakeholders as needed for purposes of relationship strengthening, capacity building, and advocating for victim-centred policies
- Write reports and other documentation
- LLB degree required
- Experience providing direct legal services within a community and managing a large case load
- Experience working with victims of gender-based violence or other vulnerable populations
- Strong understanding of women’s rights and issues around gender-based violence
- Minimum one-year experience working in the NGO sector, preferably in a community setting
- Fluency in isiZulu, Sepedi and/or Tshivenda
- High levels of flexibility, strong leadership skills and a clear sense of purpose
- An ability to find creative solutions to problems
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, both individually and in a team
- Analytical skills
- Oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain the confidentiality required
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office suite
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Late applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
LvA reserves the right to not hire for this position should no suitable candidates apply.
To know more about Lawyers against Abuse, refer to www.lva.org.za