Lawyers against Abuse is hiring
- Lee-Anne Bruce
Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) is a non-governmental organisation based in Diepsloot, an informal settlement in the northern part of Johannesburg. The organisation provides direct legal and psycho-social services to victims of domestic violence, rape, and sexual assault. LvA works closely with other community-based organisations in Diepsloot as well as state actors, like police officers and court officials. It is also involved in empowerment-based community engagement through school workshops and community workshops.
LvA seeks to appoint a Fundraising and Grants Manager on a part-time basis, based in Johannesburg. The role of the Fundraising and Grants Manager is to work collaboratively to conceptualise and write proposals, donor reports.
- Develop competitive funding proposals and/or grant applications, including narrative, log frame, budget and supporting documentation;
- Work closely with the executive director;
- Identify and develop institutional, government, corporate, community and individual funding opportunities;
- Nurture relationships with donors, identify and prioritise most viable potential funders;
- Manage donor database, and monitor trends in the sector or region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary;
- Manage holistic grant cycle for major donors, civil society organisations, and corporate partners; including proposal development, tracking progress and donor reporting;
- Support other writing tasks, including letters of intent, donor reports, and other communications for submission to donors and other potential funding sources, as required;
- Develop and implement institutional fundraising strategy; and
- Assist with the planning and execution of annual fundraising event to generate unrestricted funds for the organisation.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred;
- Minimum of three years of experience in a similar role, with private and institutional donor cultivation and solicitation;
- Minimum of three years of work experience in international development field;
- Knowledge of international development issues and donor landscape both within South Africa and internationally;
- Knowledge and experience in gender-based violence field;
- Prior success managing and writing proposals, securing funding from private donors, institutional donors, government agencies, corporations, and/or other sources;
- Writing skills;
- Ability to work efficiently, both individually and in teams, under tight deadlines;
- Organisation, analytical, and research skills;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with independence;
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality;
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office suite) and
- Ability to write in and speak English.
To apply, submit a CV, a one page motivation letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. There are possible opportunities for this to expand to a full-time position. To learn more about Lawyers against Abuse, refer to www.lva.org.za.