“What do we know? What do we do?” LGBTIQ+ in higher education
|When:||Tuesday, 14 August 2018 - Tuesday, 14 August 2018|
|Where:|| Braamfontein Campus East
Senate Room, 2nd Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House
This critical thinking forum will highlight the knowledge production on diverse sexual orientations and gender identity.
The Mail & Guardian in association with the Higher Education and Training Health, Wellness and Development Center (Heaids) at Wits University, Gay and Lesbian Memory in Action and Accountability International will host this critical thinking forum. The forum will focus on sexual orientation and gender identity, specifically the role of institutions of higher learning in addressing heteronormativity.
The discussion will also highlight the knowledge production on diverse sexual orientations and gender identity. There is increasing research into sexual orientation and gender identity in the higher education sector, yet sexually prejudice and homophobic attacks are equally on the rise.
- Ricki Kgositau, Executive Director, Accountability International
- Dr Peace Kiguwa, Senior Lecturer, Wits University
- Piwe Riri Pitsha, Student, Walter Sisulu University
- Dr Ramneek Ahluwalia, Chief Executive Officer, Heaids
- Buti Manamela, Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training