The Wits School of Accountancy attracts and produces some of the country’s best financial minds, making it the first choice for many individuals seeking to pursue a career in the field of accountancy.
A record of success
- Housed within the Faculty of Commerce, Law and Management, we consistently produce some of the top performers in the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA) and Independent Regulatory Board of Auditors (IRBA) qualifying examinations.
- Wits Accountancy graduates dominate the top ten positions in these examinations and many go on to occupy leadership positions in the world of business – our alumni include the likes of Brian Joffe (Bidvest), David Sussman (JD Group), Sol Kerzner (Kerzner International), Ivan Glasenberg (Glencore), Vuyo Jack (Empowerdex) and Donald Gordon (Liberty Life).
The School’s teaching philosophy is underpinned by a strong commitment to exposing students to both the theoretical and practical aspects of accountancy.
- Lectured teaching is complemented by a tutorial system.
- Facilitated in smaller groups, tutorials are highly interactive and give students a unique opportunity to apply the theory to which they have been exposed to in lectures.
- Real-world scenarios and case studies are used to stimulate optimal learning and prepare students for the challenges they will face in the business environment.
The School is based in the FNB Building on West Campus which offers students state-of-the-art facilities.
• Two lecture theatres complete with the latest technology, smart screens, recording capacity, and the ability to seat 400 students at a time
• Two computer labs enable students to conduct research and complete assignments while on campus
• The study and tutorials area that provides a quiet space for individual study
• The outdoor spaces offer a place to congregate, with the amphitheatre in particular being a hub of student life and activity
Our building proudly hosts some spectacular works of art, an indication of our well-rounded ethos and the fact that we strive to be about more than just numbers.
Professor Nirupa Padia is the Head of the School. She is the first black female Associate Professor in Auditing. Prof. Padia completed the qualifying Board examination in 1996 and is a qualified CA (SA).
Under Nirupa’s leadership, the School is set to continue to succeed. In the recent SAICA and IRBA Part II Professional Examinations, four WITS graduates were placed in the list of top-5 places all passing with Honours.
The School also excelled in the Part I Initial Test of Competence Professional Examinations set by SAICA, with WITS graduates taking half of the top 10 positions and passing with Honours.
"Obtaining my degrees from Wits remains one of the most important investments in my future that I have ever made. At Wits, it's not just about the degree, it's about developing the critical thinking and the world-class input that lays the foundation for your successful career in business leadership. I enjoyed it so much that I stayed to complete three degrees!"
- Devon Duffield, Executive Director: KPMG in Africa
“Deloitte and WITS have a long standing relationship which has seen many graduates successfully complete their journey of becoming Chartered Accountants. It is always important for Commerce and Higher Education to work together and support each other in producing candidates that are equipped with the necessary skills to be global leaders, particularly given the current economic climate. At Deloitte we believe in the strength of community and to this extent, we are proud to support the WITS School of Accounting in its social and academic endeavors which not only provide a solid academic platform for its graduates, but also an opportunity to engage each other on a personal level.”
- Dave Lange CA(SA) - Manager | Audit Graduate Recruitment