- Insecticide resistance in mosquito populations
- Systematics and population genetics of vector mosquitoes
- Novel methods for vector control
- Mosquito/parasite interactions
- Molecular parasitology:
- Fundamental aspects of parasite biology
- Evolutionary aspects of Plasmodium
- Novel parasite drug targets
- Genetic manipulation of parasites
- Antimalarial drug discovery:
- Design and evaluate antimalarial activities of synthetic and natural compounds.
- Elucidate mechanisms of action of the compounds and interaction of novel compounds with standard antimalarial agents.
- Determine toxicological properties and safety indices of the compounds.
- Investigate antimalarial activity in vitro, in vivo and in phase 1 to 3 clinical trials.
- Investigations of malaria transmission in African countries and recommendations for integrated malaria control interventions:
For commercial companies operating in Senegal, Guinea Conakry, Mali, Ghana, Angola, DRC, Malawi and Tanzania
As collaborators on WHO/AFRO, WHO/TDR, MIM, Gates Foundation and Wellcome Trust funded projects in Senegal, Burkina Faso, Benin, Nigeria, Chad, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique and Swaziland.
- Collaborative research projects with international institutions such as the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, UK; Johns Hopkins University, Notre Dame University, University of California at Davis, Tufts University, Centres for Disease Control, USA; University of Wageningen, the Netherlands; IRD and ILL, France; IMBB, Crete, Greece; Jamia Millia Islamia, India; and the Academy of Science, Czech Republic.