Short courses and part-time studies at Wits
Wits offers a wide array of short courses, part-time and online study options across a broad spectrum of disciplines.
Whether its time to brush up on your Mandarin or you are looking to reskill or keep up-to-date with developments in your profession, with courses that range from ethics and project management to mineral economics and human resources management, Wits may have a course for you.
Our short courses cater for a diverse market, ranging from young professionals and postgraduate students to private and public service executives and working professionals.
Wits accredited courses are taught by top university lecturers or sessional lecturers. Depending on the learning outcome, candidates will earn a certificate of attendance or competence, CPD recognition points or a degree or diploma qualification. Courses vary in length from a single day to over a year, and are delivered in a variety of modes, such as evening classes, seminars, single blocks of study or block-release sessions over a year.
Each of our short course providers tailors courses for specific applicants and level of proficiency. To find out more about the wide variety of courses on offer at the University, follow the links below.
The Wits Plus Centre for Part-time Studies offers short certificate courses via evening studies. Wits Plus students are typically over 23 and professionals.
The Mandela Institute at Wits School of Law offers continuous professional development for legal and other professionals seeking to develop their legal knowledge and skills through a wide variety of short courses in law.
Wits Enterprise administers a wide range of University short courses across all faculties. These are offered in the form of public courses as well as customised courses which meet the specific needs of society, industry, commerce and government both locally and internationally.
Wits Business School is listed in the Top 100 best schools for Executive Education in the world. The School offers a number of management and leadership executive education programmes relevant to global business today and with a particular Africa focus.
Courses for Health Professionals
- The Steve Biko Centre for Bioethics runs short courses on ethics for health professionals.
- The Wits Clinical Governance Initiative offers a number of courses aimed at teaching and improving clinical governance.
- The Wits School of Public Health runs a number of short courses, including courses in Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Social Behaviour Change.
Other courses on offer
- The Centre for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine offers a range of short courses focusing on wellness, health promotion, rehabilitation and exercise science, including football emergency medicine, sports & exercise cardiology and sports injuries.
- Many of our postgraduate degrees can be taken on a part-time basis with lectures held during the week, or as stand alone short-courses offered through Wits Enterprise. Others, such as the MA in Applied Ethics for Professionals, are designed for working individuals with lectures held on Saturday mornings.
- Some courses at Wits Journalism are available as stand-alone certificate options.