Professor Frederick Cawood
|Qualifications||PhD, MSc(Eng), NHD:Mine Surveying, GDE, ND: Mine Surveying, LLM, PrMs, MIMSSA, MSAIMM|
||School of Mining Engineering
- Mineral Policy and Investment
- Minerals Taxation, Rents and Distribution of mineral revenues
- Mine Valuation and Evaluation
- Mine Surveying
- Mineral Rights and Mining Law
- Mine economic investigations and Mineral Resource Management
Post-graduate research supervision
- B. Matshediso (PhD) Strategy for mining development in the SADC region (Graduated 2002).
- E. Lilford (PhD) Advanced considerations, applications and methodologies in the valuation of mineral properties (Graduated 2003).
- W. Saungweme (MSc by research) A review of policy and legal framework to promote Zimbabwe’s competitiveness in the mining sector (Graduated 2005).
- H. Mtegha (PhD) Towards a mineral policy for SADC (Graduated 2006).
- G Njowa (MSc by research – with distinction) Historical perspective, current industry practices and the latest developments in public reporting of mineral assets and properties for the extractive industry in South Africa (Graduated 2006).
- M Lokanc (MSc by research – with distinction) The extractive industries as a primer for economic growth – Getting around the resource curse (Graduated 2008).
- K Tlhapi (MSc by research) Optimising the strategic mine plan – An analysis of the impact of potholes and waste over-break on the economics of a stope panel on a platinum mine (Graduated 2008).
- CJF LaBuschagne (MSc by research) An investigation into the development of a marine and coastal mining strategy framework for South Africa (Graduated 2009).
- HG Thomas (MSc by research) Slope stability prism monitoring: A guide for practicing mine surveyors (Graduated 2011).
- TB Afeni (PhD) An approach to eradicate the effects of atmospheric variations on total station distance measurement in a surface mine environment: The impact of taking measurement through a glass medium (Graduation July 2012).
- N Mphathiwa (MSc by research) Design Principles for a Survey Slope Monitoring System (Graduation July 2012)
Academic qualifications – All by either Distance Learning or Part-time studies
- Ph.D. University of the Witwatersrand (Determining the optimal rent for South African mineral resources, 2000)
- M.Sc. (Mining Eng. – Mineral Economics Option) University of the Witwatersrand (1997)
- LLM: Mineral Law and Policy Dundee University (Scotland, 2009)
- G.D.E. (Mining Eng. – Mineral Economics Option, University of the Witwatersrand (1995)
- HND (Mine Surveying) Technikon Witwatersrand (University of Johannesburg, 1992)
- ND (Mine Surveying) Technikon RSA (University of South Africa, 1990)
- Cert. Competency (Mine Surveying) Department of Mines (Minerals and Energy, Government of South Africa, 1987)
Gold Fields of SA (1981-1989)
- Mine surveying and planning
Department Minerals and Energy (1989 - 1996)
- Mine surveying inspector
- Mineral rights administration and royalty assessments
- Mine- and mineral right valuations
Technikon SA (1996 to 1998)
- Under-graduate teaching:
Mine valuation and economics
University of the Witwatersrand (1999 – Present)
- Post-graduate teaching:
Mineral Policy and Investment
Legal Compliance in the Minerals Industry
Decision-making for mineral investments
Slope stability and Subsidence monitoring
- Under-graduate teaching:
Legal issues in mineral resource management
Mine valuation and economics
Mining graphics and design
Summary 1998 - 2011
1998 - 2000
2001 – 2005
2006 – 2010
Last five years (2008 – 2011)
- Cawood, F.T. Invitation to present Issues Arising from the new SA Mineral Law and Policy Framework, CEPMLP, Dundee University, Scotland, 20 February 2008.
- Cawood, F.T. Presentation to the National Treasury on the 2007 (Third) Mineral Royalty Bill, Pretoria, 29 February 2008.
- Cawood, F.T. Presentation to the UNECA ISG on Mining Sector Institutions in the, Addis Ababa, 21 May 2008.
- Cawood, F.T. A Perspective on Mining Law and Historic Issues in South Africa: Custodianship and its impact on Optimal Use of Mineral Resources under South African Mineral Law and Policy (Conference Paper). Human Rights and Bilateral Investment Treaties (Graniti & Ors v South Africa), Legal Resources Centre: Mandela Institute, 26 May 2008.
- Cawood, F.T. Mine Surveying and the Law: A Changing Landscape. Position IT March/April 2008, Johannesburg: South Africa, pp. 24 – 27.
- Cawood, F.T. Can South African improve on its national petroleum strategy? Research paper (Petroleum policy and economics) for LLM: Mineral Policy and Law, Dundee University, 09 June 2008.
- Cawood, F.T. The 2007 South African mineral and petroleum resources Draft Royalty Bill: An independent analysis. South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy Vol. 108 No. 7, Johannesburg: South Africa, July 2008 pp. 377 – 384.
- Cawood, Yilmaz, Musingwini & Reznichenko. A Perspective on University Academic Workload Measurement. Acta Academia July 2008 40(2). Pp. 159 – 184.
- Mtegha, H.D. and Cawood, F.T. Implementation plan for Harmonization of mining policies, standards, legislative and regulatory frameworks in Southern Africa. UNECA Southern Africa Office and SADC Secretariat, April 2008.
- 10. Cawood, F.T. and Richards, W.J. Standardizing and formalising technical inputs into the mine planning process: A coal mine example. Institute of Mine Surveyors of South Africa Vol. XXXII No. 9, Johannesburg: South Africa, February 2008 pp. 659 – 673.
Cawood, F.T. Is the law moving us towards sustainable development? Deep South Africa 2nd Edition (Sustainable Development), Cape Town: South Africa, February 2008 pp. 114 – 116.
- Cawood, F.T. Developing an Understanding of Optimal Use of Mineral Resources under South African Mineral Law. Dissertation for LLM: Mineral Policy and Law, Dundee University, 2009.
- Cawood, F.T. Reading between the lines of the new South African Mineral and Petroleum Resources Royalty Act: A Technical Perspective on its meaning; Inaugural Lecture University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, 9 November 2009.
- Cawood, F.T. and Agebremariam, A. Comparative analysis on Leading African Government Institutions: Home-grown solutions for the mining sector. Article in support of the UN ISG Report, January 2009.
- Cawood, F.T. The South African Mineral and Petroleum Resources Royalty Act – Background and fundamental principles. Resources Policy 35 March 2010 pp. 199 – 209.
- Cawood, F.T. and Naidoo, S. The preparation of plans and diagrams at South African Mines. Where is the boundary between the roles of mine and land surveyors? South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy Vol. 110 No. 5, Johannesburg: South Africa, May 2010 pp. 199 – 205.
- Cawood, F.T. The new South African Mineral and Petroleum Resources Royalty Act: Getting to grips with royalty tax. Inside Mining, May 2010 pp. 24 - 29.
- Afeni, T.B. and Cawood, F.T. Pre-delivery calibration of a new total station. Institute of Mine Surveyors of South Africa Vol. XXXIV No. 2, Johannesburg: South Africa, June 2010 pp. 8 - 19.
- Cawood, F.T. Challenges and opportunities for the South African minerals sector. Key note address at The XIV International Congress of the ISM, Sun City 20 - 24 September 2010.
- Afeni, T.B. and Cawood, F.T. Do the properties of glass matter when taking total station distance measurements through an observation window? Proceedings book of The XIV International Congress of the ISM, Sun City 20 - 24 September 2010. Pp. 157 – 168.
- Mtegha, H.D.,Cawood, F.T. and Minnitt, R.C.A. A comparison of the processes used during the development of the national mineral policies of Tanzania and Namibia. South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy Vol. 110 No. 10, Johannesburg: South Africa, October 2010 pp. 611 – 620.
- Cawood, F.T. The Economics of Mineral Ownership Rights, Negotiations and Legal Issues: Minerals and Negotiation session of UNIDO Conference on Competitiveness and Diversification: Strategic Challenges in a Petroleum-Rich Economy at Accra, Ghana 14 – 15 March 2011. (Conference paper - By invitation)
- Cawood, F.T. Nationalization, security of mining tenure and survey diagrams. Position IT, April/May 2011, p. 3. (Lead editorial)
- Cawood, F.T. South African energy and mining policies: Mines and power. Mining Seminar CEMLP, Dundee University, 03 -05 May 2011.
- Cawood, F.T. A view on the main threats to the future of the SA minerals sector: Is there opportunity? SA Geospatial Forum Conference 23 June 2011, Johannesburg . (Conference paper – Key note)
- Cawood, F.T. Attracting Mining Investments? Go back to basics. Wits Mining Industry Forum - Wits Mining Club, 19 May 2011. (Conference paper). Also published in SA Mining July 2011 pp. 10 – 12.
- Cawood, F.T. An investigation of the potential impact of the new SA Mineral and Petroleum Resource Act. South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy Vol. 111 No. 7, Johannesburg: South Africa, July 2011 pp. 443 – 453. – Also presented as a conference paper at SAIMM Colloquium on the School: Mineral Project Evaluation 11 – 13 July 2011.
- Cawood, F.T. Threats to the SA Minerals sector: An independent view on the investment environment for mining. South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy Vol. 111 No. 7, Johannesburg: South Africa, July 2011 pp. 469 – 474.
- Cawood, F.T. SAMVAL: An alternative view. SAIMM SAMVAL Colloquium, 23 September 2011. (Conference paper)
- Njowa, G., Clay, A., Cawood, F.T. and Musingwini, C. Historic and current industry practices in public reporting of mineral assets in Southern Africa – platinum case studies. Valmin Seminar Series, Perth and Brisbane, 18 October 2011. (Conference paper)
- Cawood, F.T. The potential impact of the new mineral Royalty Act on mine production optimization strategies. Wits Mining Industry Forum - Wits Mining Club, 21 October 2011. (Conference paper). Also published in Inside Mining November/December 2011 pp. 5 – 8.
- Cawood, F.T. Forecasts and emerging trends: Codes, Regulations and Fiscal regimes in mining. Oxford Analytica, 2011. (Bi-annual Research Report)
- Development of the implementation plan for the African Mining Vision – commissioned by African Development Bank and the United Nations
- Reviewing of research articles for Resources Policy, SAIMM, ISM and Meditari Accountancy Research.
- Mineral right and mine valuations: Value determination for capital gains tax, expropriation and investment purposes on several commodities in South Africa.
- Mineral accounting: Investigating mineral loss and reconciliation problems (gold, platinum and coal).
- Macroeconomic study for the Namibian electricity expansion project.
- Member of UNECA International Study Group to review Africa’s Mining Regimes.
- Development of the Implementation plan for Harmonization of SADC Mining Policies. Also consultant for the Report on the Harmonization of SADC Mining Policies. Recommendations adopted by SADC Mining Ministers in 2006.
- Co-author of Mining Royalties, a book published by the World Bank.
- Mineral Policy and Law Reports to the mining industry and government departments on the likely impact of the Bills. Policy Research into the investment environment and involvement with Mineral and Petroleum Policy development in several African States.
- Auditing mine surveying functions and standardisation thereof within the coal mining sector: Ingwe and Xstrata Coal, SA operations.