Decolonising Evaluation - a new MOOC
- Wits University
Wits University has added a new course to its free, online WitsX/edX learning platform.
Starting on 7 December 2020, the five week course, Decolonising Evaluation, will help you learn to identify the intersection between evaluation and decolonisation debates by understanding how evaluation has evolved with the development sector.
About the course:
Evaluation plays an integral role in understanding how different visions of development are expressed and contested in programme design and management. Decolonisation has been a central concern of the field, and there is a need to bring together a wide range of discussions concerned with decolonised evaluation.
This course introduces participants to the intersection between evaluation and decolonisation debates by understanding how evaluation has evolved with the development sector. We will raise key, current issues around decolonisation of evaluation in Africa, and to advance the discussion on decolonised evaluation through a structured discussion.
This course targets monitoring and evaluation practitioners, programme managers and development sector technical staff. This course is also intended for students, academics, or individuals with a broad range of interests in current debates in international development or decoloniality.
What you will learn:
- Describe why the selection of an evaluation approach matters in the public sector.
- Identify different paradigms of development and the roles of evaluation in each paradigm.
- Describe and critique the assumptions within an evaluation approach.
- Describe current approaches to decolonising evaluation.
- Click here to meet the instructors
- This course will run for five weeks starting on 7 December 2020
- Additional information is available at: https://www.edx.org/course/decolonising-evaluation
About WitsX on edX
In 2014 Wits University became the first African University to partner with edX, the online learning destination founded by MIT and Harvard to offer massive open online courses (MOOCs) to a global learning audience.
To date more than 152 000 students have enrolled on the WitsX platform that currently offers 15 free online courses.