Wits statement on the passing of a civilian in Braamfontein today
- Senior Executive Team
Statement from the Senior Executive Team:
Wits University is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of a 35-year-old man in the Braamfontein CBD outside of the institution this morning. The University extends its condolences to the family of the deceased.
We condemn any form of violence and call on all persons to keep calm during this very difficult time.
Based on media reports, our current understanding of the situation is as follows:
- Protest action occurred in the Braamfontein CBD earlier today,
- The SA Police Services were managing the situation,
- Initial reports suggest that a civilian was caught in clashes between the protestors and SAPS, and regrettably lost his life. At this stage, we do not have confirmation of the cause of his death,
- Two student reporters were injured, and
- Three protestors were arrested and taken to the Hillbrow Police Station.
Queries directly related to this incident should be directed to the SAPS, as they were on the scene and were managing the matter as a public order incident. We are continuing to seek further information on this matter.
The University has made available health and counselling services to students and members of the community who require assistance.
We note with deep concern the escalation of the situation which is regrettable, and we call on all persons to remain calm during this difficult time. We remain committed to seeking creative, peaceful solutions to any outstanding issues in the higher education sector.
SENIOR EXECUTIVE TEAM
10 MARCH 2021