WITS-NRF Digitisation Capacity Development Initiative at the WITS Digisation Centre
Workplan and provisional training schedule 2018 - 2020
The training interventions envisaged in this project are linked to the galleries, libraries, archives and museums (GLAMs) sector requirements and needs identified by the South African Digitisation Initiative, a national forum representing 30 institutions. The objectives are:
- To develop and maintain a cutting-edge and world class digitisation centre with equipment for the digitisation of various materials, objects and formats.
- The delivery of identified and requested national stakeholder training needs through the provision of different types and various levels of training and knowledge sharing to South African institutions, in particular GLAMs stakeholders – nationally, regionally and locally.
- Capacity building, skills development and knowledge sharing.
- To demonstrate application of digitisation knowledge and skills.
These targets are in line with the DST-NRF overarching goal of preserving and managing the scientific collections in the country.
The work plan, in accordance with these objectives, makes provision for a capacitated digitisation centre, the delivery of identified training needs through the provision of different types and various levels of training and knowledge sharing to South African institutions, and an online resource through a pilot portal project.
Workshops for South African institutions are to be held at the Wits Digitisation Centre as well as at regional level at identified institutions. The workshop categories include Project Management, Metadata creation, Digital Repositories, Digital Asset Management and Hands-on technical training.
Digitisation Centre Launch Presentations
- Wits - NRF Digitisation Partnership-11 May 2018
- WITS NRF Digitisation Workshop 2018-05-11 Roger Layton
- WITS NRF Digitisation Workshop 2018-05-11 Roger Layton - with notes
For more information please contact: Gabriele Mohale at Email Gabriele.Mohale@wits.ac.za or Landline (011)717-1940