Process to apply for mobile computing devices
- Wits University
This communique outlines the process through which students who require assistance with a loan device can apply.
MESSAGE FROM THE DEAN OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
This communication follows the email that you received yesterday and will specifically outline the process through which students who require assistance with a loan device can apply.
COVID-19 is challenging us all to do things differently and to adjust to a “new normal”. We do this from very different circumstances. The University acknowledges these disparities and is doing all it can to ensure that our students are supported during this difficult time. As previously indicated, the remote online teaching and learning programme will start on 20 April 2020.
Whilst we have addressed the majority of the issues related to data access, we understand that some students still do not have access to devices appropriate for online and remote learning. We have thus secured a limited number of devices suitable for educational purposes that will be made available to students in need. Applications will be considered on a case by cases basis, and will take the needs of each applicant into account. These limited number of devices will be delivered to students in need.
Please note these are basic devices, will be on loan to students and will be charged to fee accounts. The charges will be reversed if the device is returned in good working order at the end of the academic year. Whilst we acknowledge that it may be difficult for some students to do so, we want to encourage those students who are able to, to continue their own efforts in securing an appropriate device.
Who may apply for a loan device?
- Students registered for a full-time degree in 2020;
- NSFAS funded and “missing middle” students with a family income of less than R600 000 annually. Bursary/scholarship funded students who have not received devices from their funders. (Please note that all information supplied will be verified); and
- Students who do not have their own device, or who do not have access to a device.
Due to the challenges with delivery, regrettably only students residing within the borders of South Africa are eligible for this assistance.
Devices will be allocated in the following order of priority: final year undergraduate students, first year students, other undergraduate students and then postgraduate students.
Devices will be made available on a case by case basis, and decisions are made on the basis of the information available and/or provided. In addition:
- All devices must be returned by the end of the 2020 academic year. Where devices are not returned, students will be charged for the full cost of the device;
- Where a device is damaged and/or lost, a student will be liable for the full repair and/or replacement cost of the device; and
- Wits takes no responsibility for maintenance or the insurance of the device.
Students in need may approach their respective faculties for assistance, provide all the information required and note the conditions for assistance. Recommendations for assistance may also be made to faculties through student leaders (the SRC, school councils and class representatives) and the Division of Student Affairs, provided that all the relevant information is supplied. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
As the academic programme starts on 20 April 2020, those needing assistance are urged to apply through their faculties as soon as possible.
Students must make sure that they provide the following information:
- A brief motivation (including proof of income, if possible);
- Name and Surname,
- Student Number,
- Identity Document Number,
- Year of Study,
- Physical delivery address details (including province) on the application for assistance, including providing their up to date contact mobile numbers; and
- Name and contact details of a next-of-kin, parent, or guardian (the University may contact the next of kin / parent/ guardian to verify information provided).
Applications are made through Faculties, via the details listed below:
Commerce, Law and Management: email@example.com
Engineering and the Built Environment: FacultyRegistrar.EBE@wits.ac.za
Health Sciences: Henda.VanDerWalt@wits.ac.za or Morne.Greyling@wits.ac.za
We hope that these loan devices will go a long way in supporting students in need. Online and remote learning will require some adjustment to your way of learning. It won’t be easy. Some mistakes will be made and lessons will be learnt. We will do our best to support you towards your academic success and the realisation of your dreams.
Dean: Student Affairs