Wits Pride 2018: Not on my watch
|When:||Monday, 20 August 2018 - Saturday, 25 August 2018|
The Wits Transformation and Employment Equity Office and ACTIVATE Wits will host the annual Wits Pride in association with other partners.
Themed Not On My Watch, Wits Pride 2018 calls on members of the University community and those beyond to challenge instances of discrimination against LGBTIAQ+ people.
People who identify as LGBTIAQ+ often face multiple forms of intersecting oppressions and feel safe unsafe. Wits Pride offers safe spaces to discuss intersections of violence, access information on sexual orientations and gender identities, find community in social events and celebrate the immense value LGBTIAQ+ people offer to the University community.
This year’s programme is outlined as follows:
Monday, 20 August 2018
- A queer wedding at the Piazza from 13:00 to 14:00
- A dialogue on toxic masculinities in queer communities followed by a mixer from 17:00 to 20:00 in SH5, Solomon Mahlangu House, Braamfontein Campus East
Tuesday, 21 August 2018
- A film screening from 13:00 to 14:00 in SH5, Solomon Mahlangu House, Braamfontein Campus East
- Research in context: Exploring gender from 17:00 to 20:00 in the Disability Rights Unit, Solomon Mahlangu House
Wednesday, 22 August 2018
- A public lecture on kinship in queer spaces from 13:00 to 14:00 in RS8 (CB8) in Robert Sobukwe Building
- TRANScending Boundaries (dialogue) from 17:00 to 20:00 at the Wits School of Public Health
- Karaoke at the Ratz Bar after 20:00
Thursday, 23 August 2018
- A youth forum from 16:00 to 17:00 at University Corner (UC7), Braamfontein Campus East
- A rainbow graduation ceremony from 17:00 to 20:00 in the Concourse, Solomon Mahlangu House, Braamfontein Campus East
Friday, 24 August 2018
- Wits Pride march starting at the Great Hall stairs. The march will at 13:15 to 14:00
- A performance of uMalume from 14:00 to 17:00 at University Corner (UC17), Braamfontein Campus East
- An afterparty starting at 20:00
Saturday, 25 August 2018
- A Drawing Marathon in the Disability Rights Unit boardroom, Solomon Mahlangu House, Braamfontein Campus East
Throughout the week, daily information tents will be set up across campuses where staff and students will be able to get condoms, lube, information on safe sex, and discuss LGBTIAQ+ specific issues with trained Safe Zones@Wits allies.
All members of the University community are invited to participate in the Wits Pride march, to encourage visibility of support for LGBTIAQ+ people.
Follow Wits Pride 2018 via www.facebook.com/witsprideAdd event to calendar