STEP 1 – Apply Online
To apply online, go to: www.wits.ac.za/applications/
You may apply for a maximum of three programmes (order of choice does not matter).
If you apply for two programmes within one Faculty, you are advised to apply for one programme in a less restricted faculty (e.g. Humanities, Commerce or Science).
Try to keep your options open, especially when applying for programmes in Faculties such as Health Sciences or Engineering.
- Do not enter the duration of the programme. You are applying to go into 1st year of study.
A non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens, and R700 for foreign citizens, is required.
Closing dates30 June 2019 - Faculty of Health Sciences (all programmes); Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV30 September 2019 - All other University programmes; Residence applications.
Additional FormsDoes your degree programme have additional selection procedures? Some degrees have additional selection requirements such as portfolio and essay submissions, auditions or National Benchmark Tests. Please click on Additional Forms below to see if this applies to you.
Pay Application Fee
- Non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens
- Non-refundable application fee for foreign citizens of R700
- Payments to be made before closing dates.
- Use your T Number or Person Number as reference
How to pay
Deposit exact amount into the University’s Application Fee account:
- Standard Bank, Account name: Wits University - Application Fees. Current Account Number: 200 346 385, Branch code: Braamfontein 004 805. CI Number 074A. (International payment swift code: SBZAZAJJ). Use your person/student number as a reference.
- Pay by cash or credit card at the Wits Fees Office, Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House (Senate House), Braamfontein Campus East, Jorissen Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa. Use your person/student number as a reference.
- EFT - Use your T Number or person/student number as the reference.
STEP 2 – Acknowledgement of Application
- You will receive an email from the University acknowledging receipt of your application.
- The acknowledgment email will contain a person number (which will become your student number).
- All records of correspondence from the University will be available on the student self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Check the status of your application and to do items on the student self-service portal regularly.
- Keep your contact details uptodate on self-service.
To view all correspondence generated on the Self Service Portal, go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Wits Student Self Service > Communication History
To check your Application Status on the Self Service go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Student Centre > Admissions > View Academic Application Status
STEP 3 – Upload Supporting Documents
If you did not upload supporting documentation at the time of application, you can still do so via the student self-service portal: https://self-service.wits.ac.za
Log in with your person number and the first six digits of your ID.
Current Matriculants: Upload your final Grade 11 Results. The results must be certified and bear your school stamp.
Already Matriculated: Upload certified copies of all your matric certificates/foreign school leaving certificates. A physical/hard copy of the certificates, originally certified, must be submitted to the Wits Student Enrolment Centre (SEnC), Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House (Senate House), Wits University via hand delivery, registered mail or courier.
Other Tertiary Institutions: Upload a certified copy of academic records for ALL tertiary registrations, inclusive of statement/certificate of good conduct, stamped by the institution’s registrar.
STEP 4 – Acceptance of Offer
- Current Matriculants may be made a conditional offer (depending on Grade 11 results). Please note that certain programmes have additional selection criteria (interview/audition/NBT).
- Firm offers can only be confirmed after receiving final matric results.
- Each choice of degree is treated as a separate application. The order of choice makes no difference.
- Communication offering a firm place and information about registration and orientation programmewill reflect on the self service portal, and registration and orientation details will be available on the Wits website.
- Places are limited, therefore you may only accept one offer. You are required to respond to the offer within a few days to secure your place.
Changed your mind about your choice of study?
- DO NOT submit a new application!
- Refer to the closing dates to see if applications are still open for your new selection.
- If you are certain you want to change your programme choice, contact your Admissions Consultant to request the amendment to be processed. It is advisable to avoid multiple changes.
- Should your contact details change (e.g. email, residential or postal address or contact numbers) update your new details on the student self-service portal: https://self-service.wits.ac.za
Bachelor of Arts in Dramatic Art - audition requirements
Bachelor of Arts in Film and Television - porfolio requirements
Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts - audition/interview requirements
Bachelor of Music - audition requirements
Bachelor of Arts in Digital Arts - workshop requirements
Engineering and the Built Environment
Health Sciences applicants, B Audiology, B Speech-Language Pathology, and B Social Work applicants must write by 24 August 2019.
If you have not yet matriculated
- Your final Grade 11 report must be signed and stamped by your school principal.
- Applicants with international qualifications should submit a certified copy of a recent school report, as well as all previous results.
If you have already matriculated (even if you are rewriting some subjects in 2019) but have not attended any university
- Attach a certified copy of your matric certificate/foreign school leaving certificate/s.
- Inform the University of the subjects you are rewriting.
If you have already attended a university/tertiary institution other than Wits, submit your school leaving results and a certified copy of your academic record and certificate of good conduct
- Ask that institution to send your full academic record and a certificate of good conduct to the Student Enrolment Centre (SEnC) directly.
- Send a copy of your published results for the current year which should be stamped by the institution's Registrar and signed by the Faculty Officer.
- A statement of credits/credit certificate is NOT acceptable.
If you attended a foreign university and wish to apply for exemptions for certain courses
- You must submit, in English, the syllabuses / course outlines, certified by that university.