New first year students
Welcome to the 2018 registration process for 1st year students
1. Have you received a firm offer from the University?
- If you have written matric or an equivalent school leaving qualification last year, you will receive an SMS in January 2018 shortly after the results are announced, confirming your Firm Offer, if you have been offered a place. The University has place for approximately 6200 first year students and we have received almost 54 000 applications.
- Please access https://self-service.wits.ac.za to view your status.
- You must accept the offer via SMS or on Self-Service within 3 days to secure your place. Should you not do so, the offer will be withdrawn, and the place will be offered to another student. NO appeals will be considered. NO telephone or email acceptances can be made and you may only accept one offer.
- You may find that you have been placed on a waiting list/deferred status for your programme. As decision making is an ongoing process, we will monitor the situation on a daily basis and notify you via SMS or on self-service should a firm offer be made.
- Please ensure that all required certified documentation for your academic qualifications has been provided to the Student Enrolment Centre in hard copy before you accept your Firm Offer. Applicants who upload academic qualifications via the Student Self Service Portal would need to comply with this requirement. International applicants would be advised to provide these as soon as their final results become available.
Applicants who completed their NSC Grade 12 do not need to submit any documentation.
2. Log In Information
- Please note that to login to the self-service portal, access https://self-service.wits.ac.za using the following details:
Student ID = Person Number
Password = date of birth in YYMMDD format (only include the last two digits of your year of birth)
3. BEFORE you register
- Refer to the faculty information below to find your online registration date.
5. Curriculum planning
- Have you applied for, or been accepted for a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Education or Bachelor of Science and don’t know what your courses will be? We've made it easy to help you understand more about the programme that you have chosen as well as how to go about selecting your courses. Watch our curriculum planning videos here.
5. After you have registered
- Once you have completed the online registration process, you will be required to come to campus to collect your student access card, information bag and parking permit (if applicable). Refer to the Online Registration Guide.