Preparing to come to Wits
Once you have been accepted to study at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg you need to undertake the following steps:
- Letter of Acceptance from the University, sign and return to validate acceptance or accept offer on the Student Self Service Portal.
- Valid Passport
- Apply for Study Visa. (When collecting your Study Visa, check the date of issue and expiry. Ensure that the visa is issued for the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg or any of its variations
- Apply for South African Medical Aid Cover with a registered South African Medical Aid Provider until 31 December (Refer to Medical Aid section under "Applying to Wits")
- Travel arrangements to South Africa
- Please carry a set of clothing in your hand luggage
- Arrange for funds for fees and living expenses
- Arrange for shuttle transfer to Wits University or place of residence
- Undergraduate students should bring their Original School Leaving Certificates and /or Tertiary Qualifications for Matriculation Exemption
Should you require an airport transfer, please complete the "Airport Transfer Request Form" which can be located and downloaded from the "Forms" tab.
You may also utilise the Gautrain to get from the airport to Park Station which is located in Braamfontein. Click on the following weblink for more information about the
You may also utilise private cab companies for airport transfers.
- Maxi Taxi - Tel: +27 11 648 1212
- Rose Taxi - Tel: +27 11 403 9625
- Airport Link - Tel: +27 11 792 2017
- Airport Shuttle - Tel: +27 86 174 88 85
- Page Corporate Transport Services - Tel: +27 11 452 6970
Click here to view the Rea Vaya Bus Routes
Q: Will I be able to bring my spouse/partner with me?
A: Yes as long as they have fulfilled the necessary visa requirements. Please see http://www.dha.gov.za
Q: Will my spouse/partner be able to work in South Africa?
A: Work visas are seldom granted unless someone has critical skills; please refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for further assistance.
Q: Can I bring my children to SA?
A: Please look at http://www.dha.gov.za for details on the kind of visas and permission needed for bringing your family with you.
Q: Will my children be able to go to school in SA?
A: Yes. Government schools only allow children from areas surrounding specific schools to register at a school. It is important to keep this in mind when choosing where to live. Private schools have no such restrictions. Most government schools are oversubscribed so it is worthwhile investigating schools carefully before arrival.
Q: Is there a crèche or child care facility at Wits?
Q: Will my family be covered by my medical aid at Wits?
A: You can apply in your personal capacity to extend your medical aid to cover your family. Check with your medical aid for details.
Q: How long is my medical aid valid?
A: It is valid from the date it is taken out until the 31st December of any given year. Please check details on the policy because they do vary.
Q: Why may I not use my own existing medical aid from my country of origin?
A: SA legislation requires you to use a local medical aid.
Q: Will I be allowed to do part-time work whilst I am studying?
A: If you are on a student visa you are allowed to do part-time work that does not take up more than 20 hours of any week.
Q: Will my driver’s licence be valid in South Africa?
A: You will need an international drivers licence and your existing drivers licence must be available in English. Please read http://www.southafrica.info/travel/advice/driving.htm for more information