Facilities and services
Wits staff and students have access to a variety of services and activities both inside and outside the classroom.
- Accommodation - At Wits our residences are living and learning centres. You are at Wits to gain an education, so your academic work must be your highest priority, but you must also find a bit of time to relax and to socialise, and – very importantly – to exercise. Support is provided in each residence to students that are experiencing difficulties (academic or personal).
- Banks - Branches and ATMs of all major banks are located in The Matrix.
- Bookstores - The University has an officially appointed stockist, Van Schaik Bookstore, which undertakes to stock all the books you need for your courses. Bookshops are located in The Matrix on the East Campus, in the DJ du Plessis Building on the West Campus and at the Medical School.
- Computer services - PCs and printers are available to students for use in Computer Labs situated across campuses. Student assistants are available at each of the labs to assist from 8am-5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Commissioners of Oath - This service is available on the Concourse, Ground Floor, Senate House daily
from 08:30 to 16:00.
- Lockers - Any registered student may hire a locker from the SRC or the Health Sciences Students’ Council.
- Lost property - Please hand any found items immediately to the Lost Property Office, Campus Control Division, Room 24 Central Block, East Campus.
- Postal services - The Post Office in Senate House offers a full rangeof postal services, including private post boxes.
- Research facilities - The Humanities Graduate Centre is a one stop information service for humanities graduate students from application through to graduation.
- Postgraduate Hub (The Postgraduate Affairs Office) - Postgrads from all faculties are encouraged to attend the symposium, research support workshops and writing retreats.
- The Wits Law Clinic is a respected law office that has been involved in many precedent-setting cases in our courts. At present, we offer the following units of specialisation: family, labour, delict, urban evictions,refugee and a general unit which concentrates on consumer and contract law.
- Wits International Office - The Wits International Office (WIO) offers computer facilities, advice on matters concerning visas and student permits.
The Inter Campus Bus Service provides transportation for Wits registered students between the various Wits campuses and residences. Two buses in the fleet have wheelchair access. Bus timetables are displayed at the major bus stops, and on campus and residence notice boards.
The Disability Rights Unit is a support unit that is committed to ensuring that students with disabilities have equal access to educational opportunities at Wits so they can participate, freely and actively, in all facets of university life. We pledge to assist students with disabilities in being reasonably accommodated in academic and non-academic programmes.
The health care services are cost-effective, convenient, accessible and comprehensive. We subscribe to international norms, ethics and standards of health delivery. Ethical principles and human rights underpin our practice values. The care provided is patient/client centred to ensure optimum satisfaction with our service.