The Steve Biko Centre for Bioethics
We are a university-based centre committed to the values of justice, dignity, respect and freedom - both intellectual and academic.
The Centre is a Faculty centre situated in the School of Clinical Medicine.
The Steve Biko Centre for Bioethics contributes to excellence in bioethics by:
- Developing national and international research programmes,
- Ongoing curriculum development and teaching,
- Collaborating with other developing and developed world-based bioethicists on training and research projects,
- Advising health providers on policy matters, including resource allocation, rationing of health care services and monitoring standards of care for the ethical practice of the caring professions including medicine, dentistry, nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and pharmacy,
- Providing an ethics consultation service at hospitals and clinics within the academic hospitals as well as the primary health care settings,
- Providing NGOs and other community groups with health care ethics advice and
- Community outreach as a social responsibility