Wits Gender Equity Office
The Gender Equity Office (GEO) is a holistic, autonomous and integrated office that deals with all aspects of gender based harm and the advancement of gender equity.
Gender-Based Harm (GBH) includes the following:
- Sexism / unfair discrimination based on gender or sexual orientation;
- Sexual harassment, sexual assault and rape;
- Abuse of power and conflict of interest based on sexual/romantic relationships.
GEO offers its services free of charge to all staff members and students of the University of the Witwatersrand.
GEO provides the following services:
- Collects and tracks all GBH-related complaints across the university and analyses trends to inform and improve intervention initiatives;
- Provides a safe and confidential space with full-time counselling support to complainants and victims of GBH;
- Confidentially advises complainants and victims of GBH of their options;
- Oversees an independent disciplinary procedure for formal complaints against staff or students accused of GBH;
- Engages actively in advocacy around gender equality.
Please note that contact with GEO is confidential and does not commit you to following a formal process.