Frequently asked questions
What do I need to bring to residence?
In all residences at Wits (except International House) you will need to provide your own -
- bed linen (including pillows)
- kettle and coffee mug
- study lamp (except in Girton, Medhurst, Reith and Knockando)
- alarm clock (if you don t want to be late for lectures!)
In self-catering residences you will ALSO require:
- cooking utensils
- crockery and cutlery
You may also bring the following, subject to certain restrictions:
- a small microwave oven* (subject to inspection for safety)
- private fridge* (max size 230l; the University provides fridges for all students in self-catering residences)
- TV set* (max size 54 cm - but beware - if the noise from your TV becomes a nuisance, the set may be confiscated until the end of the year)
- portable radio (beware of noise regulations)
- personal computer
(* - There is an additional electricity levy of R150 per annum for each of these appliances)
- What may I NOT bring?
- What will I find in my room?
What about my personal safety at Wits?
Wits has recently significantly improved its security. This has led to minimal reports of crime on campus and within the residences, but unfortunately occasional incidents of theft do take place if students are careless.
- Student cards are used to gain access to Wits campuses and most of the residences.
- Security guards are posted all around the Wits campuses and at residence reception desks.
- There are several emergency intercom boxes around the East and West Campuses.
- Security guards are available to chaperone students within the Campus.
- An extensive (free) transport service links all residences with all campuses between 07:00 and 24:00 daily.
Security is, however, dependent on students playing their part, so it is IMPORTANT that -
- When walking at night on campus, do not walk alone - walk with a friend.
- When you leave your room, please lock the door.
- Students are encouraged to insure and to take care of their own possessions.
If you have more questions, please contact the Office of Residence Life.
How do I get to Wits?
Click here for a
If you are travelling by plane:
- Catch an official shuttle bus from Johannesburg International Airport.
- The shuttle bus will drop you off at the Rotunda near the Johannesburg railway station (Park Station) - double check this before getting on any bus.
- From the Rotunda you will be able to catch a taxi to Wits.
If you are travelling by bus:
- Most buses disembark at the Rotunda and from there you can hire a taxi to campus.
If you are travelling by train or taxi:
- Disembark from the train or the taxi at Park Station.
- Walk the short distance to the Rotunda and hire a taxi there.
- Be on the alert for thieves and con-men who often target students laden with luggage.