University management update [11:30]
- Wits University
Statement from the Senior Executive Team on actions taken following disruptions on Monday:
We extend our deepest appreciation to all staff and students for exercising patience and restraint yesterday, under difficult circumstances. Despite the disruptive actions of the group of 150 individuals, teaching, learning and research continued on most campuses. We thank you for your perseverance in this regard.
The University is documenting all unlawful incidents and we are asking students and staff who may have witnessed or been subjected to such unlawful conduct to report these incidents to Campus Control on (011) 717-4444 or (011) 717-6666 so that they can be investigated.
We have taken the following action to ensure that University activities continue without disruption:
- The University issued three suspension orders yesterday, with two more orders to be issued later today.
- All non-Wits members who were involved in unlawful activities yesterday and who could be identified have been barred from our campuses.
- Strict access controls are in place and students and staff are required to produce their cards when entering the University. Visitors will have to sign in via security.
- Additional security has been brought onto campus, and will remain in place until management decides otherwise. The South African Police Service (SAPS) is also on standby.
- The SAPS has been requested to investigate the incident of arson that occurred on campus yesterday.
University activities have continued without disruption on all campuses this morning (Tuesday. 5 April 2016).
Remember, if you feel unsafe, threatened or intimidated in any way, or wish to report an incident, please make your way to the nearest Campus Control Office or call the following numbers:
Campus Control emergency numbers:
Room 1, Central Block (Great Hall) – Main Control Room (CB1)
011 717 4444 / 011 717 6666
Health Sciences Campus, Parktown
011 717 2222 / 011 717 2232
Education Campus, Parktown
011 717 3340
Management Campus, Parktown
011 717 3589