Mandela: Saviour or Sell-out?
|When:||Tuesday, 31 July 2018 - Tuesday, 31 July 2018|
|Where:|| Parktown Management Campus
Donald Gordon Auditorium, Wits Business School
The Wits Business School will host this panel discussion on whether Mandela was a saviour or a sell-out?
018 marks the centenary of the birth of Nelson Mandela. Often affectionately referred to as the ‘father of the nation', the first democratically elected president of South Africa has been hailed around the globe as the greatest man of the 20th century.
But one man's saviour is another man's sell-out, and recent critics of the former activist and president raise this argument. Wits Business School invites you to a panel discussion that will tackle this contentious issue. The notable line up of speakers includes:
- Essop Pahad: former struggle activist and ANC politician
- Mavuso Msimang: chairman of Corruption Watch
- Ronnie Kasrils: author, activist, former ANC-SACP leader, ex-government minister, MK commander
- Sithembile Mbete: lecturer and political analyst
- Sizwe Mpofu-Walsh: author, musician and activist
- Zohra Ebrahim: former activist and director and chair of various organisations
The discussion will be facilitated by former struggle activist, British politician and Visiting Professor at WBS, Lord Peter Hain. Click here for speaker bios
A number of speaker books will be available to purchase at the event, including:
- Mandela - His essential life by Peter Hain: R180, Jonathan Ball
- Democracy and Delusion by Sizwe Mpofu-Walsh
- A Simple Man - Kasrils and the Zuma Enigma by Ronnie Kasrils