Postdoctoral Research Fellow 2022
Call for applications for Tayarisha/WIC Postdoctoral Research Fellow 2022.
The newly emerging Tayarisha African Centre of Excellence in Digital Governance, hosted by the Wits School of Governance is an African hub for teaching, research, policy dialogue, and outreach on the challenges and opportunities presented by digitisation in the public sector, society, and industry in Africa. In order to support and expedite Tayarisha’s research capabilities we are seeking to recruit a postdoctoral fellow to play a key role in our research strategy. In keeping in line with the Wits University’s research goals and strategy, the postdoctoral fellow will become a crucial connector and intermediator between Tayarisha and the Wits Innovation Centre (WIC).
Post-doctoral research fellowships at Tayarisha are designed to support the emergence of scholarship by stimulating digital governance-related research particularly, but not exclusively, in African governments’ public policy making and public service delivery. Successful candidates are expected to play a critical role in informing and advancing Tayarisha’s research and outreach agendas, although they will also be involved in other core activities of the Centre.
Tayarisha is inviting applications from scholars with outstanding capabilities who are interested in the field of innovation and digital government, with a desire for academic experience in action research. The successful candidate will work with the Centre on supporting the development of a GovTech innovation programme in collaboration with WIC, creating the opportunity for action research linked to practical digital transformation challenges of governments. There would also be the opportunity to focus on the associated postdoc publishing and engagement.
It is expected that the incumbent will take up the position as full-time Postdoc Fellow for one year, renewable (up to 5 years), the renewal will be based on performance and progress.
- Must have obtained PhD within the past 5 years
- Advanced research experience in a field or topic related to digital innovation in governance, e.g.: on Digital transformation and governance; Open government; Data governance; Digital ethics and rights; Digital and telecoms regulation; Digital threats and security; Building digital capabilities of the state; Enabling institutions and ecosystems; or any other related area of study aligned with the Tayarisha research group’s current projects.
- Demonstrated evidence of scholarly performance, including a relevant publications record.
- Demonstrated English language proficiency, with good conceptual and writing skills.
- Black African/and Coloured people, South Africans, and females are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duties and Expectations:
- Focused and high quality R&D, and enabling activities, linked to developing the Tayarisha-WIC GovTech innovation programme;
- The Postdoc will also be expected to attend and support Tayarisha and WIC activities – such as seminars, hackathons and innovation training and mentorship;
- Publication of results in accredited journals;
- Contribution to public communication of research (policy briefs and popular pieces such as Op Eds, blogs, podcasts, etc.); and
- Undertake other activities related to the professional development of the individual.
- The Tayarisha/WIC Postdoc Fellowship is valued at R321,560.
- Duration: 1 year, renewable (up to 5 years)
- The position will be based at the Wits School of Governance in Johannesburg, Parktown North campus.
Interested candidates should submit their application by 20 May 2022 to Mr Zibusiso Manzini-Moyo. Email: Zibusiso.Manzini-Moyo@wits.ac.za
Applications should include the following documents (as a set of PDF documents):
- a detailed CV, including academic record,
- PhD thesis abstract,
- Copy of the PhD certificate (if graduated),
- Names of three contactable referees (at least two being academic), and
- A covering letter motivating the application for postdoc and outlining the candidates’ research interests in the role. (A research plan proposal / presentation may subsequently be required of shortlisted candidates.)