ABSA and the Wits SEBS Student Council host the ABSA Women's Breakfast
13 August 2018 - Sibusiso Kgare
Saturday the 4th of August 2018, the School of Economic and Business Sciences (SEBS) Student Council kicked off Women’s Month with the ABSA Women’s Breakfast. The aim of the event was to celebrate women in South Africa under the theme of “Owning Your Space”.
The event featured an impressive panel discussion by some leading women in a variety of sectors in South Africa – these included:
- Lizeka Matshekga, Divisional Executive of Agro, Infrastructure and New Industries: IDC
- Nonye Mpho Omotola, Managing Director: Africa Communications Media Group
- Savita Mbuli, Managing Director: Growth Media and Events
- Tamara Tayler, Associate Actuary: Standard Bank
- Candice Modiselle, Actor, presenter and entertainment figure and
- Theo Motha, Chief of Staff for Marketing & Corporate Relations: ABSA
The panel of ladies spoke on numerous issues affecting women in the workplace and their personal remedies to overcoming those issues. These included breaking the glass ceiling and balancing work/ family dynamics. Attribution went to the essential role a supportive family structure plays in personal development as well as adopting an attitude of non-entitlement - highlighted by Savita Mbuli in saying “To own your space, you first need to earn it.” This was followed by a quick Q&A and an informal networking session closed the programme.
Following the event, feminine hygiene products and toiletries – raised at the breakfast as donations - were distributed at the Uitkom Home for Girls, a Child and Youth Centre in Observatory, Johannesburg.
SEBS and the SEBS Student Council would like to give thanks to ABSA for hosting the significant event in honour of women in South Africa this Women’s Month.
For more information on the event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and follow SEBS on social media: Facebook (@sebscouncil) and Twitter (@WitsSEBS).