Online application guidelines
Apply online by following these easy guidelines
You are encouraged to submit your application online
- Step 1 - Click on the link above and select the relevant option. This will enable you to create a profile and password to continue with an online application. Please ensure you use your current e-mail address and current cell number as you will be sent numerous e-mails and SMS's with important information before and after submitting your application.
- Step 2 – Once your password has been created and you have confirmed your e-mail address you will be directed to the application portal to start your application. A series of details are required (contact details, employment information, academic qualifications, etc.).
- Step 3 –You will need to upload your academic qualifications and any other additional documents required before you will be able to submit the application. Note that this does not apply to the following items - Application Fee, SAQA certificate of evaluation, Final Academic Record.
- Step 4 – Once you have submitted the application an e-mail will be sent to you confirming that the application has been submitted, and a letter of acknowledgement will follow the next day.
- Step 5 – The uploaded documents will be verified in order to complete the application, after which the application is sent to the School for evaluation.
The Checklist Explanation Document will guide you in defining the documents that are required for your application should you not be certain.
Outstanding documents must be uploaded via the student self-service portal @ https://self-service.wits.ac.za. Student ID is your person/student number; Password is your date of birth in the format ‘YYMMDD.
Student ID: Student Number/ Person Number
Password: If DOB is 1991/09/28 you enter in 910928
Once you have logged on, click the Student Centre tile, check your ‘To do’ list, and click Manage Documents to upload any outstanding items.
Remember to save your documents and name them correctly as you can only upload them once against a particular category.
Successful applicants are not required to submit certified hard copies of academic qualifications (academic record/s, graduation certificate/s) to accept an offer due to the current Coronavirus outbreak and lockdown. However, the University will verify any information/documentation submitted and in the event that any fraudulent document/s and/or other misrepresentation has been provided, will immediately cancel your registration, record such action against your record, and report the matter to the South African Police Service as per the revised Legal Declaration of Indemnity and Undertaking.
Should you need assistance during these steps you are welcome to contact us at the Student Call Centre on +27 (0)11 717 1888 and advise where on the system you need further assistance. We receive a large number of online applications without great difficulty but are happy to assist where necessary.
International applicants – Please Note:
If you are an international applicant with Foreign Qualifications or a South African citizen who has studied at a Foreign institution, please be reminded that the University will require you to have these evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA ) before your application can be deemed as complete to be evaluated.
Download an application form
Should you prefer to make a manual application you may download the application form and submit to our offices by courier or postal service. No faxed or emailed applications are acceptable.
Application forms must be couriered or posted to:
Student Enrolment Centre
Solomon Mahlangu (Senate) House - Ground Floor
University of the Witwatersrand
1 Jan Smuts Avenue
Application fee banking details
Standard Bank: Braamfontein
Branch code: 004805
Account number: 200 346 385
SWIFT Code SBZAZAJJ
Use your person/student number as the reference.