Part-time Engineering Studies
The BSc Engineering degree is available on the part-time facility at Wits Plus for all the Engineering disciplines:
Part-time students DO NOT qualify for NSFAS or residence accommodation. This means that you need to be able to pay for fees, books and accommodation.
Foreign applicants need a work permit to study on the part-time facility.
Matriculated after 2007 (Please note that the admission requirements differ for each branch):
• Aeronautical APS 40 • Chemical APS 42 • Civil APS 36 • Electrical APS 36 • Industrial APS 40 • Mechanical APS 40 • Metallurgy APS 42 • Mining APS 40
Applicants must have a Level 5 in Mathematics, English and Physical Science and the above-mentioned APS.
If you have matriculated before 2008 the following will apply:
• Aeronautical 24 • Chemical 24 • Civil 24 • Electrical 26 • Industrial 24 • Mechanical 24 • Metallurgy 21 • Mining 20
Applicants must have a D symbol in English HG, and a C symbol in Mathematics HG and Physical Science HG.
Admission Point Score if you have written Grade 12 after 2007 - NSC:
NB: This is a guideline only. Meeting the requirements does not guarantee a place. Final selection is made subject to the availability of places, academic results and other entry requirements where applicable.
Wits tabulates the points score for all subjects on the following basis:
- That English must be taken either as Home Language or as first Additional Language. Foreign students presenting with English as second Additional Language will have the option of a foreign conditional exemption and / or English proficiency tests.
- Maths is compulsory for Commerce, Law and Management - BCom.
- Maths Literacy is not accepted and counts as a normal 'other subject'.
- Wits does not distinguish between designated vs. non-designated subjects when calculating the admission point score (APS).
- The APS calculation is based on the best seven subjects including Life Orientation. (Note that LIFE ORIENTATION points are different.)
Designated Subjects - NSC:
Agric Sciences Engineering Graphics and Design Mathematics Dramatic Art Geography Maths Literacy Music History Consumer studies Visual Art Religion Studies Information technology Accounting Life Sciences Economics Business Studies Physical Sciences All official /some non-official languages
Admission Point Score if you have passed Grade 12 before 2008 – Senior Certificate:
2019 APPLICATIONS WILL BE OPEN FROM 1 AUGUST TO 31 OCTOBER 2018
Please apply online - follow the steps.
Applications will be processed and registration information will be sent to the applicants who are invited to register online.
A limited number of bursaries is available, offered by MerSETA. Only Mechanical Engineering applicants may qualify for these bursaries. Bursaries cover tuition fees ONLY – students are responsible for own accommodation, travel, meals and books.
How does it work?
The first two (2) years of the degree will be offered at Wits Plus over a period of four (4) years. After completion of these two years, students need to move to full-time to complete the last two years – total duration six years. From 2019, students across all Engineering disciplines will do a common first year.
Classes take place on the Wits Campus in Braamfontein between 17:30 and 21:00 on weekdays – a student will attend a maximum of 3 classes per week.
Classes will commence in the first week of February.
The following documents can be downloaded by clicking on the links below:
Course Outlines (2.6MB)